Merpati Airlines passenger plane crashes in eastern Indonesia, killing 27May 7th, 2011 - 5:04 pm ICT by BNO News
JAKARTA (BNO NEWS) — A Merpati Nusantara Airlines passenger plane carrying 27 people crashed off Indonesia’s West Papua province on Saturday, officials said, killing everyone on board.
The China-built Xian MA60 aircraft belonging to Merpati Airlines was on a domestic flight from Sorong Airport in West Papua province to Kaimana Airport, also in West Papua, when it crashed into the sea about 500 meters (0.3 mile) from its destination.
Indonesia’s Ministry of Transportation said the aircraft was carrying 18 adults, one child, two babies, and six crew members. Fifteen bodies were recovered in the hours after the crash, while the remaining victims are believed to be trapped inside the wreckage.
It was not immediately known what caused the plane to crash, and officials were unable to say whether severe weather in the region played a role in the accident. Witnesses told the Antara news agency that the aircraft circled over Kaimana for about 15 minutes before it crashed into the sea.
In February, five people were killed when a small passenger plane belonging to local airline Sabang Merauke Raya Air Charter (SMAC) crashed during a test flight in western Indonesia.
And in April last year, around 20 people were injured when a Boeing 737-300 belonging to Merpati Airlines crashed near Rendani Airport in West Papua Province.
- Crews recover black box from Indonesian plane crash site - May 09, 2011
- Boeing 737 carrying 103 people crashes near Indonesian airport; dozens hurt - Apr 13, 2010
- Plane crash in western Indonesia kills five - Feb 12, 2011
- Indonesian Merpati flight missing over Papua - Aug 02, 2009
- Indonesian plane with 17 people aboard remains missing - Aug 03, 2009
- Plane carrying 16 people missing in Indonesia - Aug 02, 2009
- Plane carrying 18 missing in Indonesia - Sep 29, 2011
- Indonesian plane falls into river - Apr 13, 2010
- Rescue workers spot wreckage of small plane on Indonesian mountain - Oct 05, 2012
- Conviasa passenger plane crashes in eastern Venezuela, some survive - Sep 13, 2010
- Sol Lineas Aereas commuter plane crashes in southern Argentina - May 19, 2011
- Plane carrying more than 100 people crashes in DR Congo, casualties unknown - Jul 08, 2011
- Small passenger plane crashes in eastern Canada, killing 4 - Jan 12, 2012
- U.S. FAA issues emergency directive for extra inspections of several Boeing 737 models - Apr 05, 2011
- Six die in plane-crash in Russia - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: air charter, antara news agency, bno, boeing 737 300, destination indonesia, domestic flight, eastern indonesia, merauke, merpati airlines, merpati nusantara airlines, ministry of transportation, papua province, passenger plane, plane crashes, raya air, severe weather, smac, test flight, west papua, western indonesia