Mermaid Girl Shiloh Pepin DiesOctober 25th, 2009 - 5:56 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Portland, Oct 25, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Shiloh Pepin, a 10 year girl who had gained recognition as the ‘Mermaid Girl‘, as she suffered from a rare condition known as ‘Mermaid Syndrome’ died on Friday. ‘Mermaid Syndrome’ which is also known as Sirenomelia is a rare kind of deformity in which the legs of the patient are fused together which looks strikingly similar to a mermaid’s tail.
The young girl gained wide popularity through internet and electronic media due to her rare condition and recently she had also appeared in the ‘The Oprah Winfrey Show’. Although during her birth doctors had predicted that she would not be able to survive for more than few weeks but the girl supposedly made it through all these years due to her strong determination and will-power. The girl passed away at the Maine Medical Center where she was admitted for almost a week. She was hospitalized on Oct 10, after she suffered severe fever and her condition gradually deteriorated as later on she also contracted pneumonia. Although initially she was reacting well to the treatment, her condition worsened after few days.
Normally, children who are born with this condition are not able to survive for very long period of time but those who do, usually get operated to separate their joined legs. However, in Shiloh’s case this could not be done because of certain complications as vital blood vessels linked to her circulatory system could be snapped in the process. Despite her physical challenge, Shiloh was known to be an immensely bright and high-spirited young girl and her story of courage and determination continues to inspire millions across the world.
- Mermaid Girl: Shiloh The Enthusiast - Jun 22, 2009
- Mermaid Girl's Moving Story To Be Shown On TLC - Dec 11, 2009
- 8yr-old ''Mermaid Girl'' born with fused legs survives more than 150 surgeries - Dec 15, 2008
- Girl nods off in April, wakes up in June! - Jun 14, 2012
- Blood group anomaly 'caused Tudor king's reproductive issues, mental impairment' - Mar 04, 2011
- Woman with rare hormonal disorder operated upon (with images) - Dec 27, 2011
- Surgery in India helps Iraqi woman walk - Dec 08, 2011
- Flesh-eating bacteria victim Aimee Copeland speaks for first time since her hospitalization - May 30, 2012
- No Rapunzel, schoolgirl may die if she combs her hair - Aug 18, 2011
- British woman allergic to water - Mar 13, 2012
- US cop finds starving, caged 6-yr-old eating her own flesh to live - May 04, 2011
- Woman, 86, hangs upside down for 27 hours in dark cellar - Jul 03, 2011
- Welsh sisters have to avoid excitement as it could kill them - Mar 11, 2011
- Girl beats fainting condition after 14 years - Jun 24, 2011
- Carla Sosenko reveals that she is suffereing from Kippel-Trenaunay Syndrome - May 20, 2009
Tags: circulatory system, electronic media, fever, gina gomez, maine medical center, mermaid girl, mermaid syndrome, oprah winfrey, oprah winfrey show, period of time, physical challenge, pneumonia, rare condition, rare kind, shiloh pepin, sirenomelia, story of courage, strong determination, vital blood vessels, young girl