Maywood City Services Improve As It Begins To Outsource EverythingJuly 21st, 2010 - 7:59 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
July 21, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): Maywood City is a densely populated city located in the state of California. That is nothing unique! But what comes across as surprising is that almost all of its municipal tasks are now being outsourced. And that includes policing too!
The city had been plagued with problems ever since the downturn. The authorities of Maywood City then took the axe to almost every one of its city functionaries. The school crossing guard, street maintenance workers, City Hall employees and even parking enforcement personnel were fired with each of their jobs being contracted. The residents of the city awaited the mayhem and anarchy to follow when the responsibility of its police department was handed over to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s office.
The senior citizens were scared of being assaulted on the streets and the parents worried about the availability of parks for their young, growing children. The landlords too, were at a loss particularly when the tenants seemed to assume that they were not obliged to pay their rents any longer, now that there were no services being run by the city.
The truth turned out to be radically different though. The citizens seemed pleased enough with the alternative arrangements. The list of happy citizens includes the Mayor of the Maywood City, Ana Rosa Rizo. She was quite pleased when her husband got a parking ticket from the enforcement clerks of Bell, a neighboring city. They are now looking into the parking enforcement in exchange of a monthly stipend of $50,000. The amount will have to be shelled out by the city authorities of Maywood.
The Maywood city boasts of a population upwards of 30,000 which is a little too much for this predominantly Hispanic, urban locale. The problems that the city faces are varied too. The property taxes as well as the sales taxes have dropped considerably but the police department, which had been its biggest problem, has been successfully combated by hiring contract employees.
Maywood, notorious for being the most racist and corrupt city of America is now known as the ‘city that outsources everything’.
- Maywood City Outsourcing Everything, Aiming For "Municipal Genius" - Jul 21, 2010
- Maywood City outsources everything - Jul 21, 2010
- Maywood City Fires Everyone, Outsources Everything, "Municipal Genius"? - Jul 21, 2010
- Evicted occupiers return to NYK park; 100 arrested - Nov 16, 2011
- Court summons Shimla officials on illegal parking - Jan 11, 2012
- Los Angeles Times wins Pulitzer Prize - Apr 19, 2011
- Chinese software park's success a wakeup call for Indian IT industry - Oct 03, 2011
- TCS faces legal battle in US - Apr 03, 2012
- Claims in wage suit in US without merit: TCS - Apr 03, 2012
- Italian police clamp down on tax evaders - Jan 30, 2012
- Spurt in rapes shocks Taj city - Jul 27, 2011
- Eyeing election, Obama calls for bringing jobs back home (Second lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Top Australian entrepreneur detained in China over 'embezzlement' charges - Nov 26, 2010
- Net times for Agra's league of seniors - Feb 06, 2011
- Enforce noise laws during polls, Prithviraj Chavan urged - Feb 04, 2012
Tags: alternative arrangements, ana rosa, city authorities, clerks, downturn, landlords, los angeles county, los angeles county sheriff, maintenance workers, men at work, neighboring city, outsourced, parking enforcement, parking ticket, pen men, property taxes, senior citizens, state of california, stipend, street maintenance