Math Teacher David Benke is Hero in Littleton School ShootingFebruary 24th, 2010 - 9:51 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Littleton, Colorado Feb 24 (THAINDIAN NEWS) According to the officers and witnesses who were at the Deer Creek Middle School on Tuesday Feb 23, 2010, seventh grade Math teacher David Benke is a hero. Benke, a 6′5” former basketball player and marathon runner tackled a lone gunman who had opened fire on students at the school. Two students were injured and taken to the hospital.
A student, Steven Seagraves was standing near the two injured students when a man walked up and asked them “Do you guys go to this school?” When they answered ,”Yes,” he shot them, Steven told reporters. It was at that moment that Benke ran up and tackled the gunman, possibly saving the lives of many students and faculty. “He was trying to rack another round. He couldn’t get another round in before I got to him so I grabbed him,” he said. A Facebook page in honor of Benke’s heroics, has been formed, and is asking for prayers for Regan and Matt. Those who wish can join it here.
The alleged shooter, Bruco Strong Eagle Eastwood,32 who may have been mentally disturbed, is due in court today for the shooting of the students, Reagan Weber, a 7th grader, who has been released, and Matt Thieu, who is reportedly in critical condition. He is expected to live, according to reports.
The shooting occurred just three miles from the sight of the fateful Columbine High School massacre of 1999. This time, however, the gunman was alone, and was not a current student, although he had attended the school long ago. It is yet unclear why this man committed this act.
- Bail set at $1 million for the Littleton school-shooting suspect - Feb 26, 2010
- Teacher saves lives in a shooting incident in a Colorado school - Feb 25, 2010
- Littleton School Shooting Suspect Reportedly Released On Bail - Feb 26, 2010
- Suspect In Littleton School Shooting Has Day in Court - Feb 26, 2010
- Seven die in US college shooting - Apr 03, 2012
- Ohio high school shooting claims third victim - Feb 29, 2012
- Famous Purse Employed In The Florida School Board's Shooting Case Is Auctioned On eBay - Dec 24, 2010
- Three killed in French school shooting (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Purse Used At Panama School Board Shooting Auctioned On eBay - Dec 24, 2010
- Four die in shooting outside school in France (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Gunman kills 11 at Rio de Janeiro school before killing self - Apr 07, 2011
- Susan Klebold essay in Oprah Magazine - Oct 15, 2009
- Bizarre Shooting Incident At Gardena High School - Jan 19, 2011
- One injured in Northern Illinois University shooting (Update) - Feb 19, 2010
- Gunman kills 11 students in Brazil school - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: alleged shooter, basketball player, columbine high school, columbine high school massacre, critical condition, david benke, deer creek middle school, eastwood, grade math teacher, heroics, littleton colorado, littleton school, lone gunman, marathon runner, prayers, reagan, regan, school shooting littleton, seagraves, seventh grade math