Match.com to screen for sex offendersApril 19th, 2011 - 7:40 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, April 19 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A class action lawsuit by a woman against the dating website Match.com has prompted the company to take another look at sex offenders. Subsequently the company has announced that users who sign up to its system would be screened using the sex offenders registry in the United States.
In a statement that was released by the President of Match.com Mandy Ginsberg on Sunday, the company said that screening sex offenders have been on the agenda of the company for years but with improved database and technology in the United States, the implementation might be possible soon. The statement said the company hopes to be able to implement the screening within a period of 60 to 90 days.
Match.com was sued by a woman who was only identified as Jane Doe. According to the details of the class action suit, Jane met and arranged to meet another match.com user, Alan Paul Wurtzel, in 2010. When they finally met, Wurtzel allegedly raped Jane.
Checks found that Wurtzel has already been convicted six times for sexual offences. Wurtzel has been charged and the criminal case is still pending at the federal court.
- 'Nikita' lawsuit meritless: Elton John - Apr 28, 2012
- sex.com sold for $13 mn after firm goes bust - Oct 22, 2010
- World's most expensive website 'Sex.com' sells for $13 million! - Nov 20, 2010
- Pornography websites with '.xxx' addresses open for business - Apr 19, 2011
- Demi Moore to opt for online dating? - Jan 21, 2012
- Apple faces new copyright suit in China - Jul 08, 2012
- Steven Seagal 'takes legal action against assault accuser' - Apr 20, 2010
- .xxx adult web addresses now online - Apr 19, 2011
- Radcliffe to play a literary hero in next - Jan 14, 2012
- Gerard Butler in legal trouble - Nov 11, 2010
- Elderly director sues woman over 'faked romance' - Aug 07, 2012
- Boyfriend of the missing woman in Aruba fears for the worst - Aug 11, 2011
- Men likelier to commit faster than women: Survey - Feb 04, 2011
- Wal-Mart Appeals In Supreme Court - Aug 26, 2010
- Regulation preventing pesky calls comes into effect - Sep 27, 2011
Tags: checks, class action lawsuit, class action suit, criminal case, dating website, ginsberg, implementation, jane doe, match, sex offenders registry, sexual offences, six times, united states, wurtzel