Maryland Earthquake Rattles ResidentsJuly 17th, 2010 - 7:02 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
July 17, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Maryland experienced its most powerful earth quake since 1974 on Friday morning. The quake was felt by as many as 3 million people across the United States and even President Barack Obama was asked whether he felt the shaking. He laughed and denied feeling the earthquake. For other residents, however, the earthquake was a scary experience.
The quake measured 3.6 on the Richter scale and caused tremors throughout the state of Maryland. A resident of Gaithersburg, the area that was the center of the earthquake, said that it felt like an explosion because of the noise. The quake occurred around 5.04 a.m and most residents of the impacted area were woken up by the shaking of the ground. No casualties, injuries or damage to property has been reported yet. The United States Geological Survey has announced that there is a possibility of aftershocks over the next few days. Some residents immediately called up the authorities once the quake started. Crews were also sent immediately to inspect important bridges and structures in the area for any damage resulting from the quake.
A weather reporter described the traumatic experience during the earthquake and said that it felt like an explosion. A resident of Gaithersburg said that the earthquake woke her up but she fell asleep immediately afterward because she is used to them, being from California. State officials have said that the earthquake was not powerful enough to cause any damage but the aftershocks could be quite powerful. The impact of the earthquake was felt across Baltimore area and also throughout Virginia, Delaware and even Pennsylvania.
- 3.6 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Maryland - Jul 16, 2010
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- 4.9 quake shakes Delhi, suburbs (Fourth Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- 4.2 intensity quake shakes Delhi out of its sleep - Sep 08, 2011
- 4.9 quake shakes Delhi, suburbs (Third Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Quake jolts US East Coast, n-plant shut down - Aug 24, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong quake jolts Mexico - Mar 21, 2012
- No reports of damage after powerful quake strikes the Gulf of California - Oct 22, 2010
- Argentina struck by 6.2 magnitude earthquake - Oct 06, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes the U.S. East Coast, widely felt - Aug 24, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes the Philippines, killing at least 7 - Feb 06, 2012
- New Zealand quake survivors feel lucky to be alive - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: aftershocks, baltimore area, barack obama, california state officials, casualties, earth quake, explosion, friday morning, gaithersburg, july 17, kar, maryland earthquake, richter scale, scary experience, state of maryland, traumatic experience, tremors, united states geological, united states geological survey, weather reporter