Marcos Costa arrestedApril 3rd, 2009 - 7:11 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
The LA-area crash driver was arrested by the police for the charge of smashing the truck into several cars and a bookstore, killing a young girl and her father.
The arrest was on Wednesday, when Marcos Costa was on suspicion of gross vehicular manslaughter and felony reckless driving after being questioned for much of the night, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Sergeant Gary Ogurek said.
Costa, 43, was treated for minor injuries and remained jailed on Thursday on $200,000 bail. Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies did not know if he had hired an attorney.
The car transporter truck he was driving went out of control at a busy intersection Wednesday and smashed into cars and a bookstore.
Twelve people were injured, including three in critical condition.
The crash, on a highway that runs through the busy town, left several damaged and overturned vehicles strewn across the pavement.
Los Angeles County coroner Lt Joe Bale identified the dead as 12-year-old Angelina Posca and her 58-year-old father Angel Jorge Posca. Their car was pushed through the intersection by the truck and crushed.
The crash occurred during afternoon rush hour when the truck came down the highway out of control, and the driver could not make a sharp turn, Brown said.
City officials said they have complained repeatedly about the intersection to the state Department of Transportation. In September, a semi-truck plowed through a parking lot, destroying seven vehicles and injuring one person, City Manager Mark Alexander said.
Authorities said Costa had taken a mountain route where big rigs are banned prior to the accident.
- 10 killed, 18 injured in Florida highway pileups - Jan 30, 2012
- Five Indian techies die in car accident in US - Aug 11, 2012
- Five Indian techies from Hyderabad die in US car crash (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Ban cell phone use while driving: US safety panel - Dec 14, 2011
- Suspected drunk driver injures 11 cyclists in Los Angeles - Jun 17, 2011
- Snowstorm storms upper Midwest - Feb 25, 2012
- Desert Race Accident Kills 8, Worst Seen Since Darren J Bullock - Aug 17, 2010
- Did Lindsay Lohan lie to the police about her accident? - Jun 12, 2012
- Lohan sued after car accident - Jun 12, 2012
- Eva Longoria Parker escapes unhurt in car crash - Oct 21, 2010
- 13 killed in China road accident - Jan 03, 2012
- Aguilera arrested for public intoxication - Mar 02, 2011
- Texting kills 5,000 people every year in the US - May 20, 2012
- Randy Savage's cause of death still unknown even after autopsy - May 23, 2011
- Stolen car found on eBay after 42 years - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: afternoon rush, busy town, car transporter, city officials, crash driver, critical condition, father angel, gross vehicular manslaughter, los angeles county, los angeles county coroner, los angeles county sheriff, marcos costa, mark alexander, minor injuries, posca, reckless driving, rush hour, semi truck, sharp turn, state department of transportation