Many dead, others missing after boat capsizes off Florida (3rd update)May 14th, 2009 - 3:13 am ICT by admin
Boynton Beach, FLORIDA (BNO NEWS) – At least 11 people have died and two others have been rescued after a boat carrying dozens of people capsized off Boynton Beach in Florida on Wednesday morning, emergency officials told BNO News.
The incident happened around 2 a.m. local time but was not reported until 12.39 p.m. when a passing boat picked up three people. Two of them were responsive but a third showed no life signs, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Coast Guard said. The boat was carrying up to 28 people in total and an unknown number of people remain missing. According to the Associated Press, the boat was carrying migrants from Haiti and the Bahamas.
Don Delucia, who is a spokesman for the Palm Beach County Fire and Rescue department confirmed to BNO News that there were at least 11 fatalities as of 4 p.m. EDT. A Boynton Beach Fire and Rescue spokesman said an unconfirmed number of victims were picked up by the U.S. Coast Guard and were being brought to shore.
- Dozens reported missing after boat capsizes off Florida coast - May 14, 2009
- Six missing after going on fishing trip off New Jersey - Oct 11, 2010
- Four Americans killed in Bahamas plane crash - Mar 27, 2012
- 45 missing as Philippines boat capsizes - Feb 14, 2012
- Eight drown as Chinese cargo ship sinks - Feb 18, 2012
- Nine dead after boat sinks off Florida coast - May 14, 2009
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Two U.S. Marines rescued after fighter jet crashes off San Diego, CA - Aug 11, 2011
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 10 dead as Dominican boat capsizes - Feb 05, 2012
- Coast Guard rescues two from burning motor yacht off Los Angeles - May 22, 2010
- One dead, three missing after tour boat capsizes in central Japan - Aug 17, 2011
- 13 die as boat capsizes (Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- 150 killed in Mediterranean boat capsize: UN - Jun 04, 2011
- Tamil Nadu boat capsize kills 13 (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: bahamas, bno, boynton beach florida, county fire, delucia, dozens, emergency officials, haiti, life signs, local time, migrants, palm beach, palm beach county, spokesman, spokeswoman, u s coast guard, unknown number, wednesday morning