Man held at Malaysian airport with 100 live reptiles in his bagAugust 31st, 2010 - 7:51 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Kuala Lumpur, Aug 31 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Authorities at the Malaysia airport were dismayed when they came across 100 live reptiles in the bag of a man who has already been found guilty and convicted of smuggling wildlife 9 years back in the US, according to the Wildlife and National Parks Department of Malaysia.
The smuggler - Anson Wong was on his way to Jakarta on a Malaysian Airlines flight when he was caught at Kuala Lumpur airport after the his plane made a stop over. He became suspicious after his bag broke even though it was on a conveyor belt. The bag contained 95 Boa Constrictors, 2 rhinoceros vipers and 1 matamata turtle.
It ought to be mentioned that the boa constrictors are regarded as endangered species and they are therefore banned from being traded commercially as stated in International Trade regulations.
The department, in a statement issued late on Saturday, said its enforcement officers found 95 boa constrictors, two rhinoceros vipers and a matamata turtle inside the luggage.
Wong will be kept in custody for two days more and be arranged before a Malaysian court. He could be sentenced to a 7-year jail term, or be fined $32,000 for each animal or both.
- Snake that bit model did not die from silicone poisoning - Mar 19, 2011
- Nearly 1500 turles seized in Bihar - Feb 14, 2011
- Emirates launches A-380 flights to Malaysia - Jan 02, 2012
- Two Indians freed from death row in Malaysia - Aug 07, 2012
- Snake stuns scientists by giving 'virgin' births - Nov 10, 2010
- India, Malaysia to sign economic cooperation pact - Feb 16, 2011
- Dead pigeons, boa constrictor among top weird finds at UK airports - Sep 03, 2010
- Two Indians held in Malaysia with drugs - Aug 10, 2010
- UK police issue warning as boa constrictor goes on the loose - Aug 01, 2010
- Indian, Bangladeshis held in Malaysia (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Tiger cub found among toys in Bangkok airport - Aug 27, 2010
- Malaysia to evacuate citizens from Syria - Jul 22, 2012
- Shah Rukh Khan in Malaysia to film 'Don' sequel - Feb 14, 2011
- World's deadliest snake found in Essex - Aug 31, 2012
- Malaysia to fund Bangladesh bridge project - Feb 05, 2012
Tags: anson, boa constrictors, conveyor belt, endangered species, international trade regulations, jail term, jakarta, kuala lumpur airport, luggage, malaysian airlines flight, matamata turtle, national parks, news authorities, reptiles, rhinoceros, smuggler, turtle, vipers