Man Crosses English Channel In Helium BalloonMay 30th, 2010 - 7:13 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
London, UK, May 30, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Yet another man has crossed the English Channel, although, this time, the scenario is somewhat different. The man had devised a unique way to cross the English Channel, for, he did not swim his way through, nor did he sail across it in a raft. Instead, he had chosen to cross the English Channel on a bunch of helium balloons. The man, Jonathan Trappe, has achieved this mesmerizing and thrilling stunt on Friday, being in the air with the help of the helium balloons for about five hours. An American adventurer, the 36 year old man said that he was extremely thrilled and happy to have performed this feat.
Jonathan Trappe hails from Raleigh in North Carolina. He had taken off in a cluster of helium balloons, bright and merry looking. He himself was strapped securely under the cluster of the balloons, seated in a chair. The unique flight took off from Kent, a city on Southwest England. The flight lasted for about five hours, and ended with Jonathan Trappe landing in the cabbage patch of a French farmer. Jonathan Trappe lowered himself deliberately in the cabbage patch by cutting away some of the balloons that kept him afloat.
The fact that the devise and the method of flying adopted by the American adventurer is somewhat old fashioned should not lead one to think that it was anything crude. Jonathan Trappe had taken along with him enough oxygen supply, navigation equipment and a tracking devise. All the devises had been prior approved by the aviation officials, and he had to receive permission from the authorities before he could embark on his flight.
- Crossing English Channel With The Aid OF Helium Balloons - May 30, 2010
- Jonathan Trappe crossed the English Channel with the help of Helium Balloons - May 30, 2010
- Man crosses English Channel using helium balloons - May 28, 2010
- 84-yr-old adventurer set to cross Atlantic on raft made of plastic gas pipes - Aug 23, 2010
- Weekend tourists drive adventure tourism in India (Business Feature) - May 06, 2012
- Disabled team pulls off 108-km river rafting journey - Nov 22, 2010
- Hot air balloon lands in Bath city centre - Jun 06, 2012
- Helium wasted on party balloons: Experts - Mar 22, 2012
- Sheffield PhD Students Alex Baker And Chris Rose Launched Video Camera Into Space For Pounds 350 - Jan 28, 2011
- Scientists recreate floating house from movie 'Up!' - Mar 08, 2011
- Now, a magazine for adventure tourism buffs - May 18, 2012
- A proposal, a shock and a ballooning story - Jun 08, 2012
- Blind daredevil to take on English Channel swim - May 01, 2012
- 'Sound of Music' actor 'devastated over not being invited to reunion' - Oct 30, 2010
- 'Sound of Music' associated Von Trapp family member dies age 97 - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: american adventurer, authorities, aviation officials, cabbage patch, dey, french farmer, helium balloon, helium balloons, jonathan, london uk, madhuri, navigation equipment, north carolina, old man, oxygen supply, raft, southwest england, trappe landing