Man attacks Rupert Murdoch during hearingJuly 20th, 2011 - 12:06 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, July 19 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A man attacked media mogul Rupert Murdoch with a cream pie during his Parliamentary hearing in Britain on Tuesday. The man who was sitting among the witnesses during the hearing was reported by CNN to have said, “You are a greedy billionaire,” before throwing the pie into the face of the 80-year-old.
Murdoch’s wife, Wendy Deng jumped into the defense of her husband slapping the attacker in the process. The security at the House moved in to restore order as the MPs at the hearing excused the session for ten minutes.
Tension is clearly high at the hearing. Murdoch is facing the Culture committee of the UK Parliament with his son James. The pair has consistently denied any knowledge that their newspapers are involved in phone hacking in the United Kingdom. When the lawmakers confronted the pair with compensation money reportedly paid to some of the victims, Murdoch denied knowledge of that as well while James said it was a mistake.
Murdoch insists that his newspaper News of the World is just a small part - less than one percent – of his media empire. As a result he says he is not apt with detailed running of the organization.
- Wendi Deng jumps to Rupert's defense when he was attacked with a foam pie - Jul 20, 2011
- Murdoch attacked during British parliamentary hearing (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Rupert Murdoch to appear in court - Jul 19, 2011
- Murdoch's wife becomes internet sensation - Jul 20, 2011
- Rupert and James Murdoch appear before Britain's Parliamentary Culture Committee - Jul 19, 2011
- James Murdoch resigns as News International chairman - Feb 29, 2012
- British MPs to get beefed up security after foam-fiasco - Oct 18, 2011
- Wendi wins Chinese bloggers' hearts, fending Murdoch - Jul 20, 2011
- Murdoch attacked in British parliament - Jul 19, 2011
- Rebekah Brooks appears before the British Parliamentary Committee - Jul 20, 2011
- Murdoch says he's humbled by MPs' probe - Jul 19, 2011
- Comedian who attacked Murdoch jailed for six weeks - Aug 03, 2011
- James Murdoch resigns from the board of News Group Newspapers - Nov 23, 2011
- 'Humbled' Murdoch denies responsibility for phone hacking (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- James Murdoch quits boards of Sun, Times - Nov 23, 2011
Tags: attacker, billionaire, cnn, compensation money, cream pie, culture committee, lawmakers, media empire, media mogul rupert murdoch, mistake, mogul rupert murdoch, mps, news of the world, newspapers, parliament, phone hacking, tension, uk parliament, wendy deng, wife wendy