Major earthquake strikes off Japan, tsunami warning issued (Update)February 27th, 2010 - 4:02 am ICT by BNO News
TOKYO (BNO NEWS) — A major earthquake struck off Japan’s Ryukyu Islands on Saturday, seismologists said, sparking a local tsunami warning.
The earthquake, which had a preliminary magnitude of 6.9, was centered about 53 miles east of Naha on the Okinawa Island, which is part of the Ryukyu Islands, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency. it struck at a depth of 6 miles, making it a shallow earthquake.
The United States Geological Survey had a 7.0-magnitude for the earthquake.
A tsunami warning has been issued by the Japan Meteorological Agency for Okinawa Islands. “Evacuate from the seashore immediately to the safe places near the above coasts,” a warning read.
It said tsunami waves up to two meters are expected.
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan's Ryukyu Islands, local tsunami warning issued (Update) - Feb 27, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan, local tsunami warning issued - Feb 27, 2010
- Major earthquake strikes off Japan, tsunami warning issued - Feb 27, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits off Japan's Ryukyu Islands, small tsunami recorded - Feb 27, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes southeast of Japan's Ryukyu Islands - May 26, 2010
- Tsunami alert after strong earthquake strikes off Japan's Miyako Islands (Update) - Oct 04, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Tsunami alert canceled after strong quake hits off Japan's Miyako Islands - Oct 04, 2010
- Japan issues tsunami warning for islands after powerful earthquake - Dec 22, 2010
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful quake rocks northern Japan, no casualties - Mar 09, 2011
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits western Japan, unrelated to major 8.9 jolt - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: bno, coasts, earthquake strikes, japan meteorological agency, japan tsunami warning, magnitude, naha, okinawa island, okinawa islands, ryukyu islands, seashore, seismologists, shallow earthquake, tokyo, tsunami, tsunami waves, united states geological, united states geological survey