Magnitude 5.0 Earthquake Shakes CanadaJune 24th, 2010 - 7:23 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
June 24, (THAINDIAN NEWS) An earthquake of magnitude of 5 in Richter scale has left Canada shaken up in tremors as the city rarely faces this natural disaster.
The other parts of Canada and American states and cities like Ottawa, in Rochester New York, Cleveland and Buffalo also felt this quake as reported.
The US Geological Survey of Earthquake administration report says that the earthquake occurred at a depth of 12 miles shook Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Jersey, New Hampshire and West Virginia. The original reports by U.S. Geological Survey measured the earthquake as 5.5 on the Richter scale, but it was later updated and knocked down to 5.0.
A Spokesperson of Prime Minister Harper said that there were no reports for immediate death and injuries. The Emergency Medical Services of Toronto has not received any cases of emergency. The USGS said that the earthquake occurred at around 1:45 p.m. EDT (1741 GMT).
The tremor lasted for about 30 seconds and it rattled buildings in Ottawa and Toronto, as well as Government offices across the Ottawa River in Gatineau, Quebec. The workers of the Parliament building in Ottawa evacuated the building and left it for inspection. Even The Bergen County Administration building in Hackensack was also evacuated for about 20 minutes because of the shaking.
The town councillor of Quebec, Canada said that the Toronto earthquake damaged at least seven buildings. The Police and the emergency officials took emergency measures for the earthquake.
They closed some local streets to avoid injuries, though a section of Highway 307 near Bowman, Quebec, collapsed and the route was shut down for this emergency.
- 5.5-magnitude quake hits Canada - Jun 24, 2010
- Tremors felt in Sri Lanka - Apr 11, 2012
- Earthquake hits Aleutian Islands of US - Sep 27, 2010
- Quake jolts India-Myanmar border - Jul 15, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Strong earthquake felt throughout parts of Canada and the United States - Jun 24, 2010
- Magnitude 7.2 quake hits Mexico - May 02, 2012
- Moderate earthquake rocks Ontario-Quebec border region, felt in New York - Jun 24, 2010
- Strong quake hits Norwegian Sea: USGS - May 25, 2012
- 3.6 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Maryland - Jul 16, 2010
- Quake rattles Sumatra, India feels tremors (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong quake rocks Georgia - Sep 08, 2009
- 6.8 magnitude quake hits Peru - Aug 25, 2011
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Argentina, no casualties - May 28, 2012
- Three die as quake jolts Guatemala - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: administration building, administration report, american states, county administration, emergency measures, emergency medical services, emergency officials, gatineau quebec, gina gomez, hackensack, natural disaster, ohio pennsylvania, ottawa river, parliament building in ottawa, quebec canada, richter scale, rochester new york, town councillor, u s geological survey, us geological survey