Lockdown after Florida Atlantic University shootingJuly 25th, 2009 - 1:09 am ICT by John Le Fevre
Florida Atlantic University (FAU) in Boca Raton went into lockdown mode early Wednesday morning after two shots were fired at about 1.15am at a party in the University Village Apartments.
FAU deputy police chief Keith Totten said authorities were searching for a male suspect following the incident and released a photo of a man they were seeking wearing a red t-shirt, dark pants and with his hair in cornrows.
According to a statement by university officials, no one was seriously injured, though a non student received minor unspecified injuries.
The university has only recently installed a campus-wide alert system and today’s incident was the first time it had been used, with students being alerted to a problem on the campus through sirens, mass e-mails and announcements over the school’s public address system.
Totten said, “we have been unable to locate [the suspect]. Due to that, we activated the emergency notification systems on campus and closed all the campus entries”.
FAU was subject to a 12-hour lockdown earlier this year in April after a similar shooting incident on campus which ended with the arrest of the shooter.
- Texas college campus on lockdown after gunfire near McKinney police station - Aug 17, 2010
- Texas college campus on lockdown after gunfire, at least 1 dead - Aug 17, 2010
- McKinney, TX Campus of Collin College on Lockdown: Active Shooter Incident, Possible DOA - Aug 17, 2010
- Texas A&M University Partially Locked Down After Suspected Gunman Spotted On Campus - Oct 29, 2010
- Why do some musical performances move us? - Dec 19, 2010
- Shots Fired At University of Texas, One Dead, Police Search for Second Gunman - Sep 28, 2010
- University of Miami lockdown after reported shooting - Nov 21, 2009
- Kate Major enters rehab - Nov 22, 2011
- One injured in Northern Illinois University shooting (Update) - Feb 19, 2010
- Virginia Tech officials warned own kin first about shooting - Dec 05, 2009
- Three dead in University of Alabama shooting - Feb 13, 2010
- 100 students suffer food poisoning on China campus - Apr 19, 2012
- Gunman arrested during USF Lockdown saga - Oct 06, 2009
- Fatal Shooting At Ohio State University: Alert System Questioned - Mar 10, 2010
- Oklahoma City Community College is under a lockdown - Feb 27, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,