Lincoln Tunnel Blockage Chokes TrafficFebruary 23rd, 2010 - 8:08 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
New Jersey, Feb 23, (THAINDIAN NEWS) On Monday evening, a big hole was discovered at the New Jersey Turnpike which needed immediate repair. The out-bound Lincoln Tunnel, which is one of the major tunnels used by commuters to move out of the city, was closed for more than two hours which caused major traffic disruption. Being a major connecting path, the hole in the Lincoln tunnel demanded immediate repair. However, the repair work carried out by the New Jersey Turnpike Authority made the commuters suffer a lot during the peak hours of traffic rush.
The repair work was carried out at the Exit 15X. The hole was spotted at the south bound side which made New Jersey turnpike Authority close down two lanes on the south bound side. Only buses were allowed to pass through the tunnel. According to reports, the cars were asked to use the Holland tunnel and were also diverted towards GWB. Traffic was also diverted towards the Route 3. Commuters had to face a lot of trouble as massive traffic congestion was caused due to this sudden closure of the Lincoln tunnel.
However, construction works were carried out immediately by the New Jersey turnpike Authority. The construction took some time and the tunnel was partially opened around 6:30 PM. Due to the sudden closure and diversion, people had to face terrific traffic congestion and the stoppage time was around one hour, according to reports. Even around Manhattan, a traffic delay of around half an hour was reported. All these made the Monday night a real mess for those who had to take that route.
- Dance troupe trying to sprint through tunnel to beat traffic sparks terror scare in NYC! - Nov 20, 2010
- Pile-up on Pune-Mumbai Expressway after freak accidents - Jun 09, 2012
- Traffic tangles in Delhi after power failure, rains - Jul 31, 2012
- NJ contemplating about naming rest stops after local celebrities - Mar 29, 2010
- UK to impose fines for firms who dig up roads during rush hour - Aug 22, 2011
- 2,000 vehicles caught in China traffic jam - Dec 31, 2010
- Off Mumbai, coast not clear of maritime disasters - Aug 09, 2011
- TurnPike Aircraft Landing Causes Traffic Snarl - Feb 02, 2010
- Commuters fume over traffic curbs for BRICS summit - Mar 28, 2012
- Metro construction picks up; traffic snarls expected - Apr 21, 2012
- Working 24X7 to see light at the end of Rohtang tunnel - Jan 15, 2012
- NJ ER shows wait times on billboards - Apr 13, 2011
- Power failure, rains hit Delhi traffic, commuters (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- A traffic jam in China that is 100 km long! - Aug 24, 2010
- R-Day Parade rehearsal hits traffic - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: buses, commuters, construction works, half an hour, holland tunnel, kar new, lincoln tunnel, massive traffic, meena, monday night, new jersey turnpike, new jersey turnpike authority, peak hours, stoppage time, sudden closure, traffic congestion, traffic delay, traffic disruption, traffic rush, tunnels