Limbless Man Philippe Croizon Swims English Channel 10 Hours Early!September 20th, 2010 - 9:33 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Sep 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) After spending two years in preparation, a forty-two year old French man has managed to not only swim the English Channel, but to arrive a full 10 hours ahead of schedule. It is a feat which would be amazing for anyone, but is made even more incredible by the fact that former metal worker Philippe Croizon lost both his arms and legs in an accident in 1994.
Croizon has become the first man with no arms or legs to ever cross the English Channel, using specially designed prosthetic flippers. He left from Folkestone, Kent at 8 am Saturday, and arrived in Wissant, which is near Calais, right before 9:30 am, 10 hours earlier than he was expected.
He swam at around three kilometers, or two miles an hour, and had dolphins swimming alongside him for most of the trip. Most athletes swim at around four or five kilometers. Crozoin landed on a rock at the end of his journey and was taken aboard a boat which was on it’s way to Britain.
Croizon lost his limbs in an accident in 1994 in which he was trying to remove an television antennae from the roof of a house. A 20,000 volt arc of current surged through him from a power-line close by, and doctors had no choice but to amputate his badly damaged arms and legs.
While laying in the hospital, he watched a television documentary about someone who swam the English Channel, and he decided that this was to be his new gaol. He is a father of two who stated that he wanted to accomplish this “for myself, my family and all my fellows in misfortune who have lost their taste for life.”
- Limbless man swims across English Channel - Sep 21, 2010
- Frenchman with no arms and legs prepares to swim English Channel - Jun 01, 2010
- Limbless Frenchman Philippe Croizon Swims Across English Channel - Sep 20, 2010
- France's Quadruple Amputee Philippe Croizon Crosses English Channel - Sep 21, 2010
- Limbless French man to swim English Channel next week - Sep 10, 2010
- 42-yr-old Frenchman aiming to become first limbless person to swim the English Channel - Sep 10, 2010
- Limbless Frenchman completes English Channel swim - Sep 19, 2010
- Limbless man swims between US and Russian Isles - Aug 20, 2012
- Brit woman becomes slowest person to swim English Channel - Jul 28, 2010
- French want to ban people from swimming in the Channel - Nov 02, 2010
- French Coastguards Wish to Ban People Swimming the Channel - Nov 03, 2010
- Man Bitten in Beaver Attack - Aug 14, 2012
- Woman sets world record, slowest to swim English Channel - Jul 28, 2010
- Channel Tunnel to get mobile phone coverage - Mar 03, 2012
- Irishman Paraic Casey dies while attempting to swim across the English Channel - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: arc, arms and legs, channel 10, doctors, dolphins, fellows, first man, flippers, folkestone kent, french man, gaol, journey, kilometers, misfortune, swims, television antennae, television documentary, wissant