Ligers Bred In Taiwan To Be Confiscated By AuthortiesAugust 16th, 2010 - 9:02 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Aug 16, (THAINDIAN NEWS) A zoo keeper has come under heavy criticism and may also face legal action for allowing a lion to mate with a tiger and producing two liger cubs in his zoo. Considering that cross breeding is illegal in Taiwan, the zoo operator could face a very stiff fine if found guilty. EAST (Environmental and Animal Society of Taiwan) has called for strict action to be taken against the zoo keeper for violating the Wildlife Conservation Law of Taiwan. The officials are due to visit the zoo to investigate the matter.
The zoo keeper has, however, insisted that he did not intentionally mate the tigress with the lion. He has admitted that he kept them together because he thought they were childhood lovers. He calls the birth of the ligers an accident. The father is an African lion and the mother is a 6 year old tigress. The animal right group on the other hand has urged the government to give a harsh punishment to the zoo keeper so that his actions are not copied by others.
The zoo operator has also been in legal trouble as he was alleged to have sold tiger bones and bear claws. The animal rights group feels that slapping a fine on him would be similar to selling him the right to breed such animals. The breeding of ligers is considered to be against the law of nature in several countries. The tigress had given birth to three liger cubs and only two of them have survived. Most reports suggest that the cubs will be ceased by the authorities after the investigation.
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- Third tiger cub at Patna zoo also dead - Sep 04, 2012
- Three lion cubs die at Chhattisgarh zoo - Aug 03, 2012
- World biggest hybrid cat is half lion, half tiger! - Nov 09, 2010
- Tiger cubs spread joy at Aurangabad zoo (With Image) - Apr 14, 2010
- Tiger cubs found in Tripura - Apr 09, 2011
- Four tiger cubs born in Chhattisgarh zoo - Jun 22, 2011
- Five tiger cubs die in Odisha's Nandankanan zoo - Nov 18, 2011
- No romance for Delhi zoo's bears, deer this winter - Nov 20, 2011
- Leopard, lion die in Bangalore zoo - Oct 24, 2010
- Kanha tigress finds new home in Panna forest - Mar 27, 2011
- Dangerous Liaisons: Wild cats as trophy pets in UAE (With Images) - Apr 20, 2012
- Lucknow zoo takes up breeding of famed white tigers - Aug 11, 2009
- Panna has a new resident - Kanha's orphan tigress - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: african lion, animal rights group, animal society, bear claws, conservation law, cross breeding, cubs, harsh punishment, kar, law of nature, legal trouble, liger, ligers, meena, strict action, tiger, tiger bones, tigress, wildlife conservation, zoo keeper