Lesbian student Constance McMillen awarded $35,000 as settlement over the cancellation of her promJuly 21st, 2010 - 9:12 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Jackson, July 21 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An 18 year old lesbian student - Constance McMillen has been awarded $35,000 dollars settlement for a canceled prom. The settlement was against her school and the school also agreed to pay her attorney charges. Under the settlement agreement, the Itawamba Country School District has also been ordered to follow non-discriminatory measures, which the school maintains that it already does.
It ought to be mentioned that Constance McMillen had challenged her district to allow her to attend her school’s prom with her girlfriend and also to allow the female students to wear tuxedos. The district responded by canceling the planned prom.
That move did not go down well with the American Civil Liberties Union(ACLU) who sued the district for violating McMillen’s rights. Judge Glen H. Davidson ruled in March 23 that the district violated the teen’s rights. The district then agreed to an out of court settlement.
The district announced another prom, which would be sponsored by parents, but ACLU said that prom was a sham because it was attended by only 10 students while the rest of the students partied elsewhere.
Since the incident, McMillen says she is often shunned in her town for her sexual orientation.
- Mississippi lesbian teen wins $35K lawsuit over cancelled prom - Jul 21, 2010
- U.S. District Judge Says The Prom To Stay Cancelled But The Lesbian Teenager's Rights Infringed - Mar 24, 2010
- Two lesbians' planned prom date leads to prom cancellation - Mar 13, 2010
- Lesbian Teen Prom Case Wins Favor Of The Court - Mar 24, 2010
- Constance McMillen's Dream Of Taking Her Lesbian Partner To Prom Thwarted - Mar 12, 2010
- Mississippi school prom canceled after a lesbian date request - Mar 12, 2010
- School Bans Lesbian Partner From Prom, Taken To Court - Mar 13, 2010
- Federal judge hands over the verdict in the Mississippi Lesbian teen prom case - Mar 24, 2010
- US lesbian student wins right to wear tuxedo to senior school prom - Apr 02, 2011
- The Prom Dress That Ruined The Prom Night - May 31, 2010
- Smoking ban leads to drop in heart attacks, finds US study - Nov 15, 2009
- Pennsylvania school sued over 'I (heart) boobies' bracelet ban - Nov 16, 2010
- 18 Year Old Takes 90 Year Old Date To The Prom - May 05, 2010
- Nitish orders inquiry into fake school admission - Jan 13, 2012
- Judges okays boobies bracelet in Pennsylvanian schools - Apr 14, 2011
Tags: aclu, american civil liberties, american civil liberties union, cancellation, civil liberties union, constance, court settlement, female students, girlfriend, lesbian student, mcmillen, measures, parents, prom, settlement agreement, sexual orientation, sham, tuxedos