Leroy Luetscher impaled on pruning shearsAugust 30th, 2011 - 8:03 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Tucson, Aug 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An 86-year-old farmer was miraculously saved when he accidentally fell on his pruning shears. The pensioner was seriously injured but doctors say he is expected to make a full recovery.
Leroy Luetscher had placed the farming tool on the ground while he was working in his garden in Tucson, Arizona. When he tried to get the farm implement up again, he unfortunately lost his balance and fell face down on the shears. The injury to Leroy was massive.
The handle of the tool got into the eye socket of Leroy ending up in his external carotid artery. When he was found, he had up to half the shears in his head. He was rushed to the hospital where doctors carried out extensive procedures on him.
Doctors at the University of Arizona Medical Center carried out the operation which has restored the eye of Leroy. Dr. Julie Wynne said she was shocked when Leroy was first rushed to the emergency room.
She said that, “You wouldn’t believe your eyes. Half of the pruning shears was sticking out and the other half was in his head.”
The accident happened on the 30th of July. Leroy told reporters that he is grateful for the effort that the doctors put into his treatment.
He said that, “I am so grateful to the doctors and staff at UMC.”
- Eugene Joseph Escalanti receives life sentence for massacring victim in Gila River Indian Community - Oct 06, 2010
- President Barack Obama Pays Visit To Tucson Shooting Victims - Jan 13, 2011
- Chinese boy born with no eyes - Jun 06, 2012
- Gabrielle Giffords Arrives At Texas Medical Center On Friday - Jan 22, 2011
- Arizona Shooting Victim Gabrielle Giffords Responding To Commands, Doctors Say - Jan 10, 2011
- Aaron Denham wakes up from coma & makes a miraculous recovery - Aug 22, 2011
- Tim Barter is now recovering from head injury - Feb 29, 2012
- Handwritten note reveals plan to kill US congresswoman - Jan 10, 2011
- Former US Congresswoman's shooter pleads guilty - Aug 08, 2012
- U.S. Rep. Giffords devastated by news of shooting deaths, but physical condition improving - Apr 24, 2011
- Labradoodle dog saves owner after ravine fall - Jan 26, 2012
- Shot Rep. Giffords 'miraculously' smiles, rubs hubby's neck - Jan 18, 2011
- Juan Jose Padilla returns to bullring - Mar 06, 2012
- Olga Segura, Hector Jimenez shine in `White Knight' - Aug 17, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords to undergo intensive therapy - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: arizona medical center, doctors, emergency room, external carotid artery, eye socket, farming tool, pensioner, pruning shears, tucson arizona, university of arizona, university of arizona medical center