Legendary Former Russian general Mikhail Kalashnikov turned 89November 12th, 2008 - 3:16 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
The former Russian general Mikhail Kalashnikov, celebrated his 89th birthday on Monday ,November 10, said he was a ‘truly happy man’ for having created the rifle bearing his name.
‘I think I am a truly happy man. I created a weapon for the defence of my country and it continues to serve this cause and develop,’ Mr Kalashnikov was quoted as saying by the Ria Novosti news agency.
Famous for Russian small arms designer, most popular for his AK-47, frequently called the Kalashnikov, the rifle has become the weapon of choice by dozens of armies and guerrillas around the world, the World War II veteran has barely profited financially from the AK-47.
Mr Mikhail joined the Red Army in 1938, and became a tank driver-mechanic, achieving the rank of senior sergeant serving on the T-34s of the 24th Tank Regiment, 12th Tank Division stationed in Stryi before retreating, with the regiment after the failed counterattack at Brody,
Mr Kalashnikov started working on his rifle in 1947, design by Soviet defeats in the early years of World War II at the hands of far better armed German soldiers. The Kalashnikov quickly became prized for its sturdy reliability in difficult field conditions.
- Russia to stay loyal to Kalashnikov - Dec 22, 2011
- Russia to dispose of 4 million guns, including AK-47s - Mar 15, 2012
- AK rifles' sales soar - Jan 26, 2012
- Mikhail Kalashnikov, father of the AK-47, turns 90 - Nov 11, 2009
- Kalashnikov rifle sales up by 57 percent in 2011 - Jan 26, 2012
- India's first field marshal Sam Manekshaw remembered - Apr 03, 2012
- Putin pledges 400 ICBMs for Russia in 10 years - Feb 20, 2012
- Russian military to wear berets for first time - Apr 15, 2011
- Soon, a Kalashnikov rifle for sport - Jul 13, 2012
- Russian man buys wooden crates, finds AK-47s inside - Jan 13, 2012
- 'The Pianist' changed Brody - Jul 09, 2012
- Russia to fight faking of its weapons abroad - Feb 27, 2012
- Brad Pitt's movie set raided - Oct 11, 2011
- Militant surrenders in Jammu and Kashmir - Sep 29, 2010
- Indian Army team wins gold at World patrol meet - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: ak 47, counterattack, dozens, german soldiers, guerrillas, happy man, mechanic, mikhail kalashnikov, mr kalashnikov, news agency, red army, ria novosti news, russian general, sergeant, tank division, tank driver, tank regiment, war ii veteran, weapon of choice, world war ii