Lee Harvey Oswald’s coffin sells for $87,469December 17th, 2010 - 10:23 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Santa Monica, Dec 17 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The coffin in which Lee Harvey Oswald was buried between the time period from 1963 to 1981 was sold for a whooping $87,469.
It may be recalled that Lee Harvey Oswald had shot President John F. Kennedy and then he was buried in a wooden coffin in 1963. However later in 1981, a British national speculated that the body in the coffin was that of a Soviet agent. So Lee’s body was exhumed and then an autopsy was performed on him, which confirmed that it was indeed the body of Lee Harvey Oswald and not someone else’s.
After the exhumation, the remains of Lee Harvey Oswald were placed in a new coffin and then buried. Thus the wooden coffin that had previously housed his remains was now empty. Allen Baumgardner kept it in his funeral home, which is located in Texas. And now Allen sold that coffin to an unknown bidder for $87,469. However there were some speculations that the unknown bidder might be named as ‘Friday’.
The auction was held at Nate D. Sander Auctions in Santa Monica and the bidding started from a measly $1,000. There were many online bidders for the coffin as well.
- JFK assassin Lee Harvey Oswald's coffin up for sale - Dec 02, 2010
- Coffin of JFK's killer sold for $90,000 - Dec 18, 2010
- JFK hearse up for auction - Dec 20, 2011
- Tom Hanks to produce new Kennedy film - Aug 18, 2012
- Oswald Lee Harvey's Getaway Car To Be Auctioned Off - Jun 06, 2010
- WWII Assam cemetery being dug for Japanese troops' remains - Jan 19, 2012
- No one will shoot me: JFK told secret service agents - Sep 20, 2011
- Today is the 22nd assassination anniversary of John F. Kennedy - Nov 22, 2011
- Remains of Hitler's deputy cremated in Germany - Jul 22, 2011
- Ambulance that carried JFK's casket up for grabs - Jan 05, 2011
- Lee Harvey Oswald's Getaway Cab Auctioned In Texas For $35,750 - Jun 06, 2010
- Giuseppe Garibaldi's body to be exhumed - Jul 27, 2012
- List of suspects behind John F. Kennedy's assasination up for grabs - Dec 13, 2010
- James Bond gun auction sets world record - Nov 26, 2010
- Boy sacrificed for hidden treasure in Andhra - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: auction, auctions, autopsy, baumgardner, bidders, exhumation, john f kennedy, lee harvey oswald, measly, nate, president john f kennedy, santa monica, soviet agent, speculations, time period, wooden coffin