LAUSD Workers Resent Layoffs And RelocationsDecember 3rd, 2010 - 12:32 am ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Dec 2, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The LAUSD workers are agitating against the relocation and layoff that they are being subjected to. The district workers resorted to protest and demanded that the LAUSD should use the money worth $103 million that was given to the school district. The CESA president Susan Gosman said that “The money is earmarked to preserve and create jobs”. Superintendent Ramon Cortines shot a letter to the employees on Wednesday saying that federal money was required to save over 2,000 jobs in 2011-12. He also said that the next financial year could prove to be tougher. He stressed upon the fact that using one time funding as suggested by the agitating workers would not be a prudent decision. He also said doing so would make the scenario worse in the upcoming days.
The district has resorted to measures like layoffs and other reductions to cope with a deficit of $640 million this year. Since the beginning of the cuts in education funding in 2008, more than 2,200 classified staff as well as 2,700 certificated employees have been shown the doors. Lydia Ramos, the district spokeswoman said that the situation has changed drastically compared to what it was five or six years back. Apart from the 1023 workers who were laid off, there are 1600 others who were demoted and was made to accept pay cut.
More than 2000 employees were given new designations but their wages did not change at all. The employees, needless to say, are far from happy with these changes and relocation is something most of them loathe. The workers union has said that the new changes will prove to be detrimental.
- Hindus want 10 more festivals added to Los Angeles schools' Calendar of Observances - Feb 11, 2011
- Grim scenes as Blackberry cuts 2,000 jobs - Jul 26, 2011
- Google to cut 4,000 jobs at Motorola Mobility - Aug 14, 2012
- Aircraft manufacturer Hawker Beechcraft to lay off 170 people - Aug 04, 2012
- BlackBerry cuts 2,000 jobs - Jul 25, 2011
- Kudankulam nuclear protest called off -- for now - Oct 16, 2011
- NY workers accused of go-slow on snow removal in revenge for spending cuts - Dec 31, 2010
- Privatisation of loss-making Goa port plant only a last resort: MP - Nov 10, 2011
- Greek riot police clash with demonstrators during nationwide strike - Oct 06, 2011
- Nokia management, workers sign new wage agreement - Jul 20, 2010
- English club Portsmouth ordered to wind-up - Jan 25, 2012
- Carrots motivate workers, not sticks: Study - Jun 21, 2012
- Rat problem in NYC is hampering tourism - Apr 07, 2011
- Kudankulam agitators release statement of accounts - Mar 02, 2012
- Wells Fargo Laying Off Workers, Closing Subprime Mortgage Deals - Jul 10, 2010
Tags: certificated employees, cesa, designations, education funding, federal money, gosman, lausd, layoff, layoffs, lydia, money worth, prudent decision, ramon cortines, relocation, relocations, six years, spokeswoman, superintendent, wages, workers union