Laura Dekker finishes her solo sailing sojournJanuary 12th, 2012 - 10:38 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Amsterdam, Jan 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Laura Dekker has announced that she has had enough of the Dutch authorities. After years of legal battle, Dekker finally secured the permission to sail solo around the world on condition that she will continue her education in the process.
The 16-year-old is currently sailing on the Atlantic Ocean with the yacht Guppy. Dutch officials recently announced that Dekker is not keeping up with her schoolwork. The officials called Dekker’s father to discuss the issue but he failed to attend the meeting.
To protest the “interference” of the officials in her life, Dekker has replaced the Dutch flag with that of New Zealand on her yacht. She has also decided to stay in New Zealand and continue her studies there. She was born on the territorial waters of New Zealand so she is considered a citizen of the country. Her mother and father were going round the world in their yacht when she was born.
Dekker’s lawyer Peter de Lange told reporters that, “Laura has had enough of Dutch authorities. She was almost put into care. And now this…Who knows, maybe they’ll be waiting for her with handcuffs at the finish line.”
Dekker is on a quest to become the youngest sailor to go round the world unaided.
- Dutch girl youngest to sail around-the-globe solo - Jan 22, 2012
- Dutch Court gives teen Laura Dekker the go ahead for solo sailing - Jul 27, 2010
- Fourteen Year Old Dutch Sets Sail on Solo World Trip - Aug 04, 2010
- 14-year-old Dutch girl Laura Dekker to sail solo around the world - Jul 27, 2010
- Missing girl sailor found on Dutch Caribbean Island - Dec 21, 2009
- 14-year-old Dutch girl's mum allows daughter to sail around the globe - Jul 18, 2010
- Dutch teen Laura Dekker sets sail on her epic voyage - Aug 04, 2010
- Jessica Watson completes around the world sail - May 16, 2010
- Teen Sailor Abby Sunderland Rescued - Jun 12, 2010
- Round-the-world teenager's voyage over before it began - Sep 09, 2009
- Australian teen Jessica Watson completes round-the-world sail - May 15, 2010
- Solo round-the-world Oz sailor reveals love interest - May 23, 2010
- Indian Coast Guard rescue two Australian sailors - Oct 19, 2011
- Round-the-world sailor nears half-way point - Dec 29, 2009
- Round-the-world-teen-sailor vows solo try won't be last - Jun 13, 2010
Tags: amsterdam, atlantic ocean, citizen, dekker, dutch authorities, dutch flag, dutch officials, education, finish line, guppy, handcuffs, interference, lawyer, mother and father, new zealand, schoolwork, sojourn, solo sailing, territorial waters, yacht