Laid-off man throws shoes at Iranian President AhmadinejadDecember 13th, 2011 - 4:06 am ICT by BNO News
SARI, IRAN (BNO NEWS) — A laid-off textile worker was arrested on Monday after he threw his shoes at Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who was visiting a factory in northern Iran, opposition news websites reported.
The incident reportedly happened at the Mazandaran textile factory in the city of Sari, which is the provincial capital of Mazandaran, when a 45-year-old man, who was seated in the front row of an audience, threw his shoes at Ahmadinejad.
The shoes missed the president, who was delivering a speech to workers at the factory, and instead hit a banner behind him, but it was not immediately clear how Ahmadinejad reacted and if he was forced to evade the shoes. The attacker then started shouting, criticizing the state of unemployment in the country.
Opposition news websites identified the man, who had been laid-off by the factory after having not received a salary for more than a year, as ‘Rashid Sh.’ The reports said that, in response to the attack, Ahmadinejad supporters shouted slogans in support of the president and started beating Rashid. He was quickly taken away by police.
It was not immediately clear if Rashid was seriously injured or if he would face any charges. Neither the government nor state-run media, which usually does not report on stories critical of senior government officials, commented on the incident.
Opposition news websites said Rashid previously served a jail sentence after he threw eggs or tomatoes at former President Mohammad Khatami when he was visiting Sari during his presidency.
- Jobless man hurls shoes at Iranian president - Dec 13, 2011
- Iranian MPs call for death to opposition leaders - Feb 15, 2011
- Protesters should not be punished, says Khatami - Dec 21, 2009
- Iran working on atomic bomb: IAEA - Nov 09, 2011
- Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Assassination Attempt Rumors Denied By President's Office - Aug 04, 2010
- Iran's Ayatollah Montazeri buried in Qom amid protests - Dec 22, 2009
- US using IAEA as a tool: Iran - Nov 07, 2011
- Six-year jail for former Iranian reformist - Jan 17, 2010
- Iran not to pursue n-bomb production - May 31, 2012
- Key Ahmadinejad aide behind dismissal of senior Iranian officials - Dec 25, 2010
- Punitive West sanctions goading Ahmadinejad to crack down on Iran opposition - Aug 12, 2010
- Workers kill company official in Yanam (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Ahmadinejad starts Africa tour - Apr 23, 2010
- Violence rocks Yanam, workers kill company official (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Ahmadinejad's visit to disputed island irks Lebanon - Apr 15, 2012
Tags: attacker, bno, former president, government officials, iran opposition, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, jail sentence, mahmoud ahmadinejad, mohammad khatami, news websites, northern iran, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, president mohammad khatami, provincial capital, rashid, sari, slogans, textile factory, textile worker