LA Auxiliary Bishop Gabino Zavala resigns after revealing that he fathered 2 childrenJanuary 5th, 2012 - 12:43 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Jan 4 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Vatican has confirmed that Los Angeles Auxiliary Bishop Gabino Zavala has resigned. The statement failed to state the reasons for the resignation but several reports link it to the recent confession of the bishop that he has fathered two children.
Roman Catholic bishops and friars have sworn celibacy. It is one of the contentious issues confronting the Church. The Vatican has successfully dealt with previous attempts to get the Church to reform on the subject.
Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez told reporters that Gabino told him about his secret children last December and informed him that he has already sent his resignation letter to the Pope. Archbishop Gomez described the event as “sad and difficult.” Gabino on the other hand is said to be living a private life currently after he stepped out of the priesthood.
Archbishop Gomez in a letter to the press on the press on the subject said revealed that, “The archdiocese has reached out to the mother and children to provide spiritual care as well as funding to assist the children with college costs. The family’s identity is not known to the public, and I wish to respect their right to privacy.”
Gabino has since moved to another state where the children are living with their mother.
- US bishop resigns after saying he fathered two kids - Jan 05, 2012
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Pope believed 'priests should be allowed to have sex' - Feb 07, 2011
- Pope John Paul II To Be Beatified By Vatican On May 1 - Jan 15, 2011
- Roman Catholic Church slams film about panic-prone Pope - Apr 20, 2011
- Vatican names inspectors for Irish church sex scandal - May 31, 2010
- Catholics in Kerala elated as Alencherry ordained cardinal - Feb 18, 2012
- Pope accepts "humiliation" on abuse of minors by priests - Dec 21, 2010
- Pope accepts bishop's resignation over sex scandal - Mar 25, 2010
- Pope accepts resignation of abuse accused cleric in Nigeria - Jun 01, 2010
- Pope says "Sexuality is a gift of the Creator" - Oct 21, 2010
- Pope condemns Belgian sex raids - Jun 28, 2010
- Two more bishops resign over Irish child sex abuse - Dec 25, 2009
- Bolivian president asks pope to abolish priestly celibacy - May 18, 2010
- Sinead O'Connor takes aim at Pope Benedict over church child abuse apology - Mar 26, 2010
Tags: attempts, auxiliary bishop, college costs, confession, contentious issues, friars, gabino, jose gomez, pope, priesthood, private life, resignation letter, right to privacy, roman catholic bishops, spiritual care, vatican, zavala