Knoxville School Shooting - Student boy shot dead in high schoolAugust 22nd, 2008 - 3:29 pm ICT by Bupha Ravirot
Ryan McDonald, A 15 -year-old student was shot dead by a classmate on Thursday in a Tennessee high school, as other teenagers watched in horror as the victim clutched his chest and fell to the floor.
The shooting happened shortly after 8 a.m., both the victim and the shooter have had an argument in a cafeteria of the Central High School in Knoxville, deputy Chief Bill Roehl said
Police have identified the victim as Ryan McDonald, who lived with his grandmother and had alopecia, a condition that left him bald and the target of endless teasing as a child.
The suspect, Jamar Siler, 15, was charged with one count of first-degree murder and was being held in a juvenile detention facility.
Students like to gather in the cafeteria before classes. Chad Griffin, 15, and Josh Matthews, 14, who was in the incident said they were sitting about 10 feet away from the victim and talking when they heard a sharp noise.
Griffin at first thought someone had dropped a book and then looked around.
“He got shot and started walking and he was holding his chest. There was blood everywhere. And then he fell and his arm hit me,” Griffin said.
Matthews said he thought it was a fake at first but then realized the shooting was real.
“I took off running and ran outside and called my mom,” Matthews said.
After the tragic incident, the school, which contains 1,400 students was placed on lockdown and Classes were dismissed.
The news conference was held on in the school late Thursday, McIntyre said the school will reopen Friday, emphasizing more on counseling than on classes.
Nearly 200 people attended a candlelight vigil for McDonald outside his grandmother’s modest home in the blue-collar Lonsdale community Thursday evening. They wrote condolences on cardboard signs attached to the chain-link fence in front of the house and sang “Amazing Grace” in the street.
- Principal & Assistant Principal shot in the Inskip Elementary School shooting - Feb 11, 2010
- WWE Raw: Drew& Dolph vs Big Show Handicapped Match - Jul 12, 2011
- Woman teacher on trial for having sex with pupil - Apr 13, 2010
- Racism row again hits an Indian on 'Big Brother' - Jul 11, 2012
- US Consul General McIntyre visits Kerala Infopark - Jun 14, 2012
- WWE Raw: Kofi Kingston vs Drew McIntyre - May 24, 2011
- Cheryl Cole turns down offer of Britain's Got Talent - Sep 21, 2011
- WWE Raw: Randy Orton vs Drew McIntyre - Oct 04, 2011
- WWE Smackdown: Drew McIntyre vs Chris Masters - Apr 23, 2011
- McDonald's to give free fruit with every Happy Meal - Jul 27, 2011
- CL T20 qualifier: T&T; to bat against Leicestershire - Sep 20, 2011
- Gay man with HIV endangers lives of eight Australians - Dec 13, 2010
- Brit teacher cleared of seducing 16-year-old pupil - Apr 16, 2010
- Women's prejudice linked to their biology - Jun 23, 2011
- A hard case to crack - May 31, 2011