Kenyan pipeline blast kills more than 60September 12th, 2011 - 11:07 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Nairobi, Sept 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Dozens of people have been killed in a pipeline blast in a slum in Kenya. Rescuers have removed at least 61 bodies from the place where the blast took place. The resulting blaze in the neighborhood has made it difficult for rescuers to get to the victims.
Local media in Kenya predicts that more than 100 people might have been killed as a result of the blast which happened on Monday. The police in Nairobi say most of the bodies are charred beyond recognition and that is making it impossible to identify the victims.
Officials say the victims were trying to collect fuel which was leaking from the Kenya Pipeline Company. It is believed a cigarette butt thrown at the place might have caused the inferno. At least 100 people are at the hospitals receiving treatment.
A slum dweller who was also part of those collecting the free fuel told reporters that, “I was going to the loo down by the river just after 4am when I saw the gold flowing from the pipe. I ran home and grabbed two jerrycans and went back to fill them up. As I finished and turned away there was a boom as the fuel ignited.”
In 2009, more than 100 people were killed when a similar incident happened. The government has promised to help the survivors.
- Over 100 dead in Kenya fuel pipeline fire - Sep 12, 2011
- Rain-triggered rockslide flattens Nairobi slum, killing 7 - Apr 05, 2012
- Around 100 dead in Kenya tanker explosion (Lead) - Feb 02, 2009
- Two killed, 15 injured in Pakistan building blast - Aug 04, 2012
- 48 killed in Kenya ethnic clashes - Aug 22, 2012
- Three killed, dozens injured after Kenya bus explosion - Dec 22, 2010
- Kenyan football lovers keep off pubs during Euro final - Jul 02, 2012
- Man killed while stealing fuel from Mexico pipeline - Apr 18, 2011
- Passenger bus overturns in southeast Kenya, killing 12 - Apr 02, 2012
- Slum dwellers, police clash in Kolkata again - Apr 28, 2012
- Kenya minister killed in chopper crash - Jun 10, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 239 die as blaze engulfs two factories in Pakistan (Fourth Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- 135 die as flames engulf two factories in Pakistan (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012