Judges okays boobies bracelet in Pennsylvanian schoolsApril 14th, 2011 - 1:38 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Pennsylvania, April 13 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A judge in Pennsylvania has ruled that schools cannot ban a talking-breast cancer bracelet. Critics of the bracelet say the words “I (heart) boobies!” are vulgar and lewd.
The court heard a case where a school suspended two girls for wearing the bracelet which is banned in the school. The students took the bracelet to the Easton school on Breast Cancer Awareness Day.
The case was picked up by American Civil Liberties Union. The ACLU asked the court to overturn the ban on the bracelets. The case was heard last December and the judgment was made on Tuesday.
The ruling which was delivered on Tuesday by U.S. Judge Mary McLaughlin said the bracelets were intended to raise awareness to breast cancer. McLaughlin ruled that the bracelet helps to reduce the stigma that is often associated with discussing issues of breast cancer in the public.
The two students, Brianna Hawk and Kayla Martinez, during the hearing testified that they did not intend to send out sexual messages by wearing the $4 rubber bracelets. McLaughlin found it ironical that the school would punish the students when the school’s PA system pronounced the word “boobies” during an announcement.
- US students defend decision to defy 'boobies' bracelets ban - Dec 17, 2010
- US Judge backs 'I (heart) boobies' bracelets in school - Apr 13, 2011
- Pennsylvania school sued over 'I (heart) boobies' bracelet ban - Nov 16, 2010
- 'I [heart] Boobies' cancer bracelets cause mayhem in US schools - Sep 03, 2010
- US school ban 'I [heart] boobies' bracelet supporting cancer foundation - Oct 16, 2010
- Shanna Marie McLaughlin's Photo Shoot In UCF Locker Room Draws Attention - Aug 10, 2010
- Lesbian student Constance McMillen awarded $35,000 as settlement over the cancellation of her prom - Jul 21, 2010
- Australian jailed for calling magistrate 'mate' - Nov 01, 2010
- Jessica Biel to play Vera Miles - Mar 22, 2012
- Magistrate puts man behind bars for calling him 'mate' - Nov 01, 2010
- Dikshit flags off cancer awareness walk - Nov 06, 2011
- US lesbian student wins right to wear tuxedo to senior school prom - Apr 02, 2011
- Lynsie Murley Gets Her Share Of Justice Over Dispute With TSA - Jan 14, 2011
- Pennsylvania high school under fire over Hitler quote in yearbook - Aug 27, 2010
- US woman wins payout from TSA after airport security exposed her breasts - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: aclu, american civil liberties, american civil liberties union, boobies, breast cancer, breast cancer awareness, breast cancer awareness day, breast cancer bracelet, civil liberties union, easton school, hawk, heart, judgment, kayla, mary mclaughlin, pennsylvania, rubber bracelets, stigma, two girls