Jewish Teen Makes Aircraft Crew Suspicious With His RitualsJanuary 22nd, 2010 - 7:55 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Jan 22, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The security measures taken at airports have undergone a sea change after the infamous 9/11 terrorist attacks. In a latest incident the crew members of a US airline got scared after they saw the prayer apparatus of a Jewish teenager. The problem started when the teenager brought out two small boxes filled with scriptures in the plane that was going to Kentucky. The boxes are part of the ritual prayers. The boy was with his sister and they both became frightened. They were going to see their grandmother but ended up in the company of FBI officials and cops.
The grandmother of the teenager later said that since the flight was at 7.25 a.m in the morning, the boy could not pray in the morning. That is why he thought of completing the ritual in the aircraft which led to the misunderstanding and chaos. The small leather boxes commonly called ‘tefillin’ caused the crew to hit the panic button. They mistook the boy to be a terrorist and thought the box was some kind of explosive. It is obvious that the cabin crew were unaware about the Jewish rituals. The boy placed the boxes on his head and it raised their suspicion.
Fearing a terrorist onslaught, the pilot and the crew decided to make an emergency landing in Philadelphia. The Republic airlines plane landed and the teen was interrogated. He was quite co operative with the officials. The teen’s name is Caleb Leibowitz. When the officials and cops were convinced that he was innocent, they put him on the next flight to his destination, Kentucky.
- Jewish teen's prayer items set off a bomb scare - Jan 22, 2010
- Flight diverted to Philadelphia from LaGuardia airport - Jan 22, 2010
- Mumbai-bound plane hit by bird, lands safely - Oct 21, 2010
- Gilani orders plane crash probe, official hints at blunder (Roundup) - Apr 21, 2012
- All on board dead in Pakistan plane crash - Apr 21, 2012
- Crews recover black box from Indonesian plane crash site - May 09, 2011
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Bees on a Yakutia Airline flight to Moscow creates panic - Aug 24, 2011
- Pakistan to probe plane crash that killed 127 (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Airline flies man to Sweden instead of France - Jun 30, 2012
- Plane makes emergency landing in Poland - Nov 02, 2011
- US flight makes emergency landing due to unruly passenger - Oct 19, 2011
- F-16s scrambled as US marked 9/11 anniversary - Sep 12, 2011
- Air France plane has 30 wing screws missing, Chinese mechanics being blamed - Nov 25, 2011
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: 9 11 terrorist attacks, cabin crew, caleb, co operative, crew members, emergency landing, fbi officials, going to kentucky, grandmother, jewish rituals, jewish teen, jewish teenager, leather boxes, leibowitz, misunderstanding, onslaught, panic button, republic airlines, scriptures, sea change