Jeremy Scahill on “Bill Moyers’ Journal”June 6th, 2009 - 5:13 pm ICT by GD
Award winning investigative journalist Jeremy Scahill sat in discussion with Bill Moyers on the “Bill Moyers’ Journal” on Friday night, June 5 on PBS network. The author of the book “Blackwater: The Rise Of The World’s Most Powerful Mercenary Army” spoke on the war crisis situation in Afghanistan on the aftermath of the USA’s take over of control.
Jeremy Scahill runs the newly launched Web site RebelReports which reports on the various military strategies of the US in countries like Afghanistan, Iraq, Israel and Palestine. In one of his blogs, ” USA : Armed Mercenaries Replace Police” he reports how 70% of US intelligence budget is getting drained off to private companies to maintain a firm grip over those lands.
On the “Journal”, Scahill says how the war policies of Barack Obama are no different or radical from that of the George Bush Administration. The Obama Government has just started following the old government policies regarding the Middle East war situation. The statistics in those nations show that at present, over two fifty thousand contractors are battling it out in Iraq and Afghanistan. It accounts for almost about fifty percent of the total US force.
In Iraq, according to the reports of Jeremy Scahill, there is a strong presence of about one thirty thousand contractors with a steep 23% rise recently. All this under the Obama regime. The situation in Afghanistan is no more different. Afghanistan has seen a 29% rise in armed contractors presence.
Though Scahill agreed that the Obama Government had inherited a sticky military situation from their predecessor, the war situation is only escalating in these countries rather than settling down.
- Musharraf approved Blackwater's terror operations in Pak: General Beg - Nov 16, 2009
- Blackwater created shell firms to win contracts, says NYT - Sep 04, 2010
- Obama's ratings decline with 43 percent Americans opposing Afghan war - Aug 04, 2010
- Experts express doubt about US's Afghan 'hearts and minds' strategy - Mar 16, 2011
- Military advisory committee to urge Obama to allow women to serve on front-line - Jan 16, 2011
- Obama now being touted by some to be the "Comeback Kid" - Dec 20, 2010
- US Congress approves spending measure for Afghanistan - Jul 28, 2010
- Blackwater accused of bagging US Govt contracts through plethora of dummy companies - Sep 04, 2010
- Gaddafi keener to stay in power than Obama to oust him says Fox News Poll - Apr 07, 2011
- Remains of some 9/11 victims ended up in landfill - Mar 01, 2012
- Blackwater directly participated in secret CIA raids in Iraq, Afghanistan - Dec 11, 2009
- Iraq combat exit no reason for celebration: Obama - Sep 01, 2010
- US hires private firms for 'dirty work': Russian diplomat - Aug 29, 2012
- Rolling Stone magazine and the Associated Press among winners of the 2010 George Polk Awards - Feb 23, 2011
- Kashmir dispute no breeding ground for terrorism: Gates - Jan 23, 2010
Tags: afghanistan iraq, barack obama, bill moyers, bill moyers journal, bush administration, crisis situation, firm grip, george bush, government policies, intelligence budget, investigative journalist, jeremy scahill, mercenaries, mercenary army, middle east war, military situation, military strategies, pbs network, private companies, war situation