Jeanice McMillan: A Life Cut Short In The Metro TragedyJune 24th, 2009 - 12:08 am ICT by GD
At least seven were killed and 70 others injured, when a metro rail slammed in to the rear of another on the Red Line, yesterday. The terrible accident took place during the peak hour of the evening, which is why the impact of the accident was so resounding.
Among those dead, was a 42 year old woman called Jeanice McMillan from Springfield. She was the operator the metro train that head butted on to the other train that was in front of it. Metro officials said that McMillan was reportedly inexperienced and lacked the foresight of the more experienced operators. She had been an employee in the Metro rail since January 2007. The accident took place just outside the Fort Totten station in Northeast Washington. This is said to the deadliest accident in the history of the metro rails in all the 33 years that it has been functioning.
Initially there was a lot of conflict in the result of the death toll and the number of wounded. However, it has been made clear now that there has been 7 deaths and the number of injured is 70. DC fire department chief Dennis Rubin has said that that rescue workers had treated 76 people at the scene of the accident and some of them were sent to the hospital after the initial treatment.
President Barrack Obama has expressed his immense sadness at the incident and sent the victims and their families, his condolences. As more and more bodies were pulled out of the crash wreckage, the death toll was fluctuating throughout the whole ordeal, putting everyone in fear.
- Signaling control fault found in DC Metro crash - Jun 25, 2009
- Toll rises to nine in Washington subway collision (Third Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- DC Metro train control system fails crash test - Jun 27, 2009
- Train derailment in central Poland kills 1, injures dozens - Aug 13, 2011
- Six killed, 70 injured in US subway collision (Second Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- Metro commuters to get tips on safe travel - Feb 20, 2012
- Search continues for bodies at Washington metro crash site - Jun 23, 2009
- 'Talented' Kiwis must beat 'pretty average' Pak in Wellington Test: McMillan - Jan 14, 2011
- Four killed, 66 injured in US subway collision (Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- India train accident death toll crosses 60 - Jul 11, 2011
- China fires railway officers over train crash - Jul 25, 2011
- 'Rent is too damn high' doll on offer for $49.99 - Oct 29, 2010
- Time to play three spinners in New Zealand side: McMillan - Feb 18, 2011
- Hemsworth loves Cyrus' short hair - Aug 16, 2012
- 26 injured as Punjab Mail derails near Rohtak (Second Lead) - May 06, 2012
Tags: 33 years, barrack obama, condolences, dc fire department, death toll, deaths, department chief, foresight, fort totten, initial treatment, metro officials, metro rail, old woman, ordeal, peak hour, red line, sadness, terrible accident, tragedy, wreckage