Japan Tsunami: More than 2000 people still missingSeptember 12th, 2012 - 8:36 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Tokyo, Sept 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The skeletal remains of a victim of the Japan tsunami was found by the coast guards during the one and a half year commemoration of the worst tsunami that has ever hit Japan.
One of the officers said to Kyodo news that the body of the victim had been discovered in one of the islands that had not been searched at the time of the tsunami. The island was Minamisaniriku. Miyagi town is one of the towns that was hit hard by the tsunami with a magnitude of 9 at the time of the strike on the 11th of March 2 years ago.
The tsunami that had a height of about 52 feet is said to have destroyed most of the buildings that were in this town and at the same time about 1206 people who were residents of this town lost their lives.
Three people were reported to be missing after the disaster struck on this town. The number of those said to be dead is 15,870 and more are said to have died after the event which raises the number of those that died as a result of the strike to be higher. This is associated to the stresses of living in temporary shelters among others.
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Disaster management operations on: Japan PM - Mar 11, 2011
- Massive tsunami claims over 100 lives in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Massive tsunami kills 23 in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- At least 91 dead, scores missing after quake, tsunamis devastate Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan tsunami hit over 100 designated evacuation sites - Apr 13, 2011
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan quake death, missing toll crosses 1700 - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan quake toll may cross 10,000, no nuclear meltdown (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 14, 2011