Japan issues tsunami warning for islands after powerful earthquakeDecember 22nd, 2010 - 1:06 am ICT by BNO News
TOKYO (BNO NEWS) — Japan issued a tsunami warning for some of its islands on early Wednesday morning after a powerful earthquake struck nearby.
The 7.4-magnitude earthquake at 3.19 a.m. local time (1719 GMT Tuesday) was centered about 153 kilometers (95 miles) east of Chichi-shima on the Bonin Islands, located some 1049 kilometers (652 miles) south-southeast of Tokyo. It struck about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA).
JMA immediately issued a tsunami warning for the Ogasawara Islands, while tsunami advisories haveb een issued for the Izu Islands, Shizuoka Pref., the Pacific Coast of Aichi Pref., the southern part of Mie Pref., Wakayama Pref., Tokushima Pref., Kochi Pref., Miyazaki Pref., the Tanegashima and Yakushima areas, and the Amami Islands and Tokara Islands.
Residents of the Ogasawara Islands are urged to evacuate coastlines immediately. “Evacuate from the seashore immediately to the safe places near the above coasts,” JMA said in a warning.
- Tsunami warnings in effect after major earthquake hits off Japan - Dec 22, 2010
- Powerful quake strikes off Japan, tsunami warning canceled - Dec 22, 2010
- Strong 6.5-magnitude quake hits off Japan's Bonin Islands - Dec 23, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan, felt in Tokyo - Nov 30, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan's Ryukyu Islands, local tsunami warning issued (Update) - Feb 27, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan, local tsunami warning issued - Feb 27, 2010
- Powerful quake strikes off northeastern Japan, tsunami warning issued - Apr 07, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits off Japan's Ryukyu Islands, small tsunami recorded - Feb 27, 2010
- Massive earthquake rocks Japan, tsunami warnings issued - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
- Powerful quake rocks northern Japan, no casualties - Mar 09, 2011
- Japan cancels tsunami warning following powerful quake - Dec 22, 2010
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 01, 2011
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: aichi pref, amami islands, bno, bonin, izu islands, japan meteorological agency, japan meteorological agency jma, magnitude earthquake, mie pref, miyazaki pref, ogasawara islands, shallow earthquake, shima, shizuoka pref, south southeast, tanegashima, tokara, tsunami warning, wakayama, yakushima