Jamaica celebrates its 50th independence anniversaryJanuary 2nd, 2012 - 11:29 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Kingston, Jan 2 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Jamaica is celebrating its 50th independence anniversary this year. They had previously been ruled by Britain and just half a century ago, they attained freedom. Needless to say, the celebrations are on and the Jamaican citizens are sparing no expense to celebrate and to make merry.
The historical event was named as ‘Fireworks on the Waterfront’ and it was organized by the Urban Development Corporation. The main highlights of the event were the musical performances that had everyone tapping their feet to the music and a wide variety of food that was present there to be savored.
Even the needs of the children in the concert were taken care of, as a number of rides were set up for them. However the performances by numerous Jamaican artists took the breath away from the attendees. Gee Whiz, I-Octane, Khago, Omari, Coo Coo Do, George Nooks, Joan Flemings and Ken Boothe played to their heart’s content on the stage and the crowd was swaying to their beat in no time.
Lenford Salmon, project director of Jamaica 50 said that, “Jamaica 50 transcends political administrations. Jamaica 50 is for Jamaica. So whichever administration forms the government will be pretty keen to ensure that we celebrate in fine style. Our 50th anniversary is a significant achievement in the life of any country. It has to be heralded in a significant way. The People’s National Party in opposition had a representative on the planning council that worked very closely with us and played an integral part in all that we have planned for Jamaica’s 50th.”
- Gayle's presence was icing on memorable century: Samuels - Jul 08, 2012
- Olympics: Jamaicans rejoice as Bolt wins 100m final - Aug 06, 2012
- Gayle could return as Jamaican captain - Oct 05, 2011
- Sprint legend Quarrie says team support boosted Jamaica - Aug 22, 2012
- Bolt injury free, ready to defend titles, says manager - Jul 25, 2012
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- Bob Marley film to be shown at Berlin fest - Jan 23, 2012
- India, Bangladesh pledge closer ties at close of Tagore anniversary - May 07, 2012
- Google and others remember Freddy Mercury - Sep 05, 2011
- Bennett to be honoured in San Francisco - Feb 12, 2012
- Bollywood stars wish fans happiness, peace this Christmas - Dec 25, 2010
- Trinidad and Tobago, India to celebrate I-Day jointly - Aug 10, 2012
- Prince Harry wants to be reggae DJ? - May 08, 2012
- Rock is on a roll, courtesy Delhi's music cafes (Feature) - Jun 16, 2010
- Cuba celebrates 50 years of electroacoustic music - Apr 01, 2011
Tags: 50th anniversary, attendees, coo, fine style, fireworks, flemings, gee whiz, george nooks, half a century, independence anniversary, jamaican artists, ken boothe, musical performances, news jamaica, on the waterfront, planning council, project director, salmon project, urban development corporation, wide variety of food