Italy to build the world’s largest suspension bridgeFebruary 26th, 2009 - 3:35 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb.26 (ANI): Italy has announced that it will build the world’s largest suspension bridge between the mainland and Sicily.
Critics say the six billion euros (5.4 billion pound) two-and-a-half mile long bridge across the Strait of Messina is too costly and have also questioned the wisdom of building it in a region that is prone to earthquakes.
According to The Telegraph, some engineers have warned that the area’s huge pylons would be vulnerable to high winds.
Italy’s Public Works Minister Altero Matteoli told Italian radio that it was essential to improve the ramshackle roads and railways on either side of the bridge, in Sicily and the mainland region of Calabria.
The project could get underway this year. It was first envisioned by Silvio Berlusconi in 2001-2006, but then ditched by his centre-left successor, Romano Prodi, amid concerns that it would mostly benefit construction firms run by the mafia.
Berlusconi, who was re-elected prime minister last year, has put the project back on track, insisting that it will create thousands of jobs, boost tourism and improve transport links between the ‘toe’ of the Italian mainland and Sicily, replacing ferry services.
The bridge would be able to handle nearly 5,000 cars an hour as well as high-speed trains.
The dream of building a bridge across the narrow strait was first envisioned by the Romans and later considered by Sicily’s Norman rulers. (ANI)
- Italy revives plans to build world's largest suspension bridge - Mar 06, 2009
- Italian politicians held for trading votes with mafia - Dec 23, 2010
- Fugitive Italian mafia leader arrested - May 04, 2012
- When Italian senate applauded likely caretaker PM - Nov 11, 2011
- Italian Police seize 'mafia assets' worth $1.9 bn - Sep 15, 2010
- Berlusconi to take over AC Milan from daughter - Feb 17, 2012
- Italy declares state of emergency over immigration - Jul 26, 2008
- Italian prime minister slams country's downgrading - Sep 20, 2011
- 24,000 Italian government employees to lose jobs - Jul 11, 2012
- Gaddafi threatens to kill Berlusconi: Italian daily - Jul 31, 2011
- Italian prime minister cleared in tax evasion case - Oct 18, 2011
- Police move to crush mafia in Italy - Jul 13, 2010
- Berlusconi to release his song album Tuesday - Nov 20, 2011
- Ferrari chief says Berlusconi must resign - Nov 01, 2011
- Berlusconi provokes Vatican ire after cracking Jewish holocaust joke - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: altero matteoli, building a bridge, construction firms, ferry services, high speed trains, high winds, italian mainland, italian radio, london feb, long bridge, mainland region, narrow strait, pylons, railways, romano prodi, sicily, silvio berlusconi, six billion, strait of messina, suspension bridge