Italian police raid Mafia clan and arrest 300July 13th, 2010 - 11:50 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Venice, July 13 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Italian law enforcement authorities have carried out a massive operation against one of the country’s most notorious mafia organizations, the “ndrangheta”. The police arrested over 300 members of the criminal organization including most of its top bosses. Police also said that they seized millions of Euros worth of property from the group.
Police have also arrested the man they believe is the top chief of the organization, Domenico Oppedisano. They arrested him earlier at a town in Calabria where the mafia group is based.
The raid, which was carried out in pre-dawn involved more than 3,000 police personnel. The group has been charged with various crimes including murder, extortion, drug trafficking, arms smuggling and criminal association.
The ndrangheta is considered more powerful than the famous Sicilian mafia and this particular raid is no doubt, a big blow to the organization. Police described the raid as one of the biggest in the country’s history.
The group was involved in some brutal murders in Germany in 2007, when six Italian were shot in mafia style, when they were returning from a birthday party. Italian police said that all the three people involved in that shooting have been arrested.
Italy is home of most mafia groups, some of whom are even more powerful than the Italian government. Local mafia group extort money from local residents and they mostly run illegal business and also indulge in drug trafficking.
- Italian Police Raid Huge Mafia Clan - Jul 14, 2010
- Police move to crush mafia in Italy - Jul 13, 2010
- 'Dangerous' mobster held in Italy - Apr 24, 2012
- Italian magistrate arrested in mafia crackdown - Nov 30, 2011
- Dozens of mafia men held in pan-European drugs bust - Jun 04, 2012
- 35 suspected members of Calabrian mafia arrested in northern Italy - Mar 14, 2011
- Italian politicians held for trading votes with mafia - Dec 23, 2010
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- Fugitive Italian mafia leader arrested - May 04, 2012
- Mafia is now 'Italy's No.1 bank' - Jan 11, 2012
- Man held for attempted bomb attack on Italy president - Sep 21, 2010
- Scores of arrests deal blow to Sicilian mafia - Dec 14, 2010
- Mafia assets worth 47 mn euro seized in Italy - May 20, 2011
- Italian mafia boss held in Venezuela - Aug 29, 2012
- Mafia boss caught while vacationing with family - Aug 18, 2009
Tags: birthday party, brutal murders, calabria, criminal organization, drug trafficking, extortion, illegal business, italian government, italian law, italian police, law enforcement authorities, mafia clan, mafia style, massive operation, ndrangheta, no doubt, oppedisano, police raid, pre dawn, sicilian mafia