Israeli soldiers open fire after car fails to stop in the West Bank, killing 1November 11th, 2011 - 10:05 pm ICT by BNO News
JERUSALEM (BNO NEWS) — Israeli soldiers opened fire on a speeding car in the West Bank on early Friday morning after the driver ignored repeated calls to stop his vehicle, officials said. The driver was identified as an Israeli citizen.
The incident happened at around 5.30 a.m. local time when Israeli soldiers detected a vehicle driving suspiciously near Beit Hagai, an Israeli settlement in the southern Hebron hills in the West Bank. A temporary crossing was established nearby to stop the vehicle.
“Soldiers present at the crossing then identified the vehicle, driving at them suspiciously at high speed,” a spokesperson for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said. “The vehicle failed to comply with the soldiers’ calls to halt. A soldier felt his life was in danger; he then fired at the vehicle, which deviated to the side of the road.”
A 55-year-old Israeli citizen was killed as a result of the shooting, while two others suffered light to moderate injuries. IDF Major-General Avi Mizrahi ordered an immediate investigation into the incident, but it was not immediately clear why the driver refused to stop his vehicle.
Shortly after the shooting incident, a truck driving in the opposite direction accidentally struck one of the Israeli soldiers who were manning the temporary crossing. IDF officials said the truck driver did not notice the soldier, who sustained minor injuries.
- Soldiers open fire at Arab-Israeli man in West Bank checkpoint - Jan 21, 2011
- Israeli soldiers arrest senior Hamas operative in the West Bank - Jan 07, 2011
- Israel kills Hamas militant in West Bank - Apr 26, 2010
- At least 10 people killed, more than 100 injured in clashes along Israel's borders - May 15, 2011
- Settlers and Palestinians clash in West Bank village; one dead, one injured - Jan 29, 2011
- Criminals run truck over UP sub-inspector - May 17, 2012
- Ghaziabad accident claims 7 lives - Aug 23, 2011
- Two Pakistanis aboard Gaza aid convoy attacked by Israel (With 10 die as Israeli navy strikes Gaza aid ships) - May 31, 2010
- Two die in east Delhi road accident - Dec 28, 2011
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- Soldier killed in Philippines accident - Jan 23, 2012
- Six killed in Delhi road accidents (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- Four Delhi Police personnel injured in accident - Apr 08, 2012
- 10 die as Israeli navy strikes Gaza aid ships - May 31, 2010
- Minivan runs over group of pedestrians in Japan, killing 7 - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: bno, friday morning, hagai, high speed, idf, israel, israel defense forces, israel defense forces idf, israeli citizen, israeli settlement, israeli soldiers, jerusalem, local time, minor injuries, mizrahi, open fire, soldier, speeding car, spokesperson, west bank