Israeli president feeling well after surgery for herniaMay 12th, 2012 - 2:02 am ICT by BNO News
JERUSALEM, ISRAEL (BNO NEWS) — Israeli President Shimon Peres underwent successful surgery in Tel Aviv on Friday to treat a hernia which was discovered in his abdomen earlier this week, his spokesman said. He is expected to be released from hospital on Sunday.
The hernia was discovered by Professor Rafael Walden, the personal physician to Peres, during his week-long state visit to Canada. Peres continued with his planned schedule for the visit but immediately underwent surgery at the Sheba Medical Center Tel Hashomer near Tel Aviv when he returned on Friday.
Professor Walden, who oversaw the operation, reported that it was a ‘complete success’ and that Peres is expected to return home on Sunday. The Israeli leader reported feeling well when he awoke from the procedure and has since spoken to family members. He thanked those who wished him well, his spokesman Ayelet Frish said.
Peres, 88, who won the 1994 Nobel Peace Prize and is known for his long work days, was elected by the Knesset for a seven year term in 2007. The role of president is largely ceremonial in Israel, but Peres is held in high regard both at home and abroad among Israel’s allies.
- Wife of Israeli President Peres dead at 87 - Jan 21, 2011
- India seeks to strengthen relations with Israel (With Image) - Apr 06, 2012
- Israeli President recovering in hospital after collapse - Sep 13, 2009
- World approaching 'military option' on Iran: Israel - Nov 05, 2011
- Ex-Israeli president convicted of rape - Dec 30, 2010
- Israel backs India for UN permanent seat - Jan 10, 2012
- Shimon Peres discharged from hospital after collapsing (Lead) - Sep 13, 2009
- Israel calls Palestinian deal a 'fatal mistake' - Apr 29, 2011
- Israeli president collapses, taken to hospital - Sep 13, 2009
- Israel calls for more action against Iran - Jun 10, 2010
- Israel fears more rocket attacks - Mar 27, 2012
- Israel President denies calling British 'anti-Semites' - Aug 02, 2010
- Krishna to boost ties with Middle East, Israel - Jan 07, 2012
- Israel to deploy anti-missile system - Feb 20, 2012
- Son of Hamas founder reveals how he saved Israeli President from terror plot - Feb 28, 2010
Tags: 1994 nobel peace, 1994 nobel peace prize, abdomen, allies, bno, family members, hernia, israeli leader, israeli president, jerusalem israel, knesset, nobel peace prize, personal physician, regard, sheba medical center, shimon peres, spokesman, tel aviv, tel hashomer, walden