Israeli aircraft carry out airstrikes in GazaJanuary 8th, 2010 - 2:02 pm ICT by BNO News
JERUSALEM (BNO NEWS) — Israeli aircraft carried out multiple airstrikes within Gaza on Thursday, a high-ranking Israeli government source told BNO News.
“Israeli aircraft carried out aerial strikes in Gaza,” the government source, who asked not to be identified because she was not authorized to discuss the subject, said. Her authenticity was confirmed by BNO News.
An Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokeswoman later confirmed the airstrikes, saying at least four targets had been hit in response to mortar shells and Katyusha rockets fired from Gaza on Wednesday.
“The Israeli Air Force and IDF [..] struck one terror tunnel, two smuggling tunnels and one weapons-manufacturer facility among other targets,” an IDF spokeswoman said. The spokeswoman said the “terror tunnel” was located about one kilometer away from the security fence with Israel, and was intended to be used to infiltrate Israel in order to execute a terrorist attack.
There were conflicting reports on the number of casualties. The IDF said it had no information on casualties, while Palestinian media reported fatalities and injuries. Both figures could not be verified by BNO News, although an employee at a local hospital in Gaza said one person had been killed.
- Some 17 injured after Israel strikes suspected terror tunnels in the Gaza Strip - May 26, 2010
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Israeli airstrike kills 2 Hamas officers in southern Gaza Strip - Sep 20, 2012
- Seven mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip into Israel - Dec 21, 2010
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- Militants linked to al Qaeda fire mortar rounds at Israel - Nov 21, 2010
- At least 10 people killed, more than 100 injured in clashes along Israel's borders - May 15, 2011
- Israeli strike kills two in Gaza, Israel deploys anti-missile system - Mar 27, 2011
- Two rockets fired from Gaza into Israel despite announced ceasefire - Apr 16, 2011
- Three Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip - Sep 13, 2010
- Ten wounded in Israeli strikes on Gaza - Nov 22, 2009
- Israel begins dismantling section of West Bank barrier - Jun 26, 2011
- Israel hits Gaza tunnels, weapons plant - Nov 19, 2009
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- Hamas leader killed in Israeli airstrike (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
Tags: authenticity, bno, casualties, conflicting reports, gaza, government source, israel defense forces, israeli air force, israeli aircraft, israeli government, jerusalem, katyusha, katyusha rockets, local hospital, mortar shells, palestinian media, security fence, spokeswoman, terrorist attack, tunnels