Israel warms up to hit IranJune 20th, 2008 - 4:59 pm ICT by David M N James
Pentagon officials have confirmed that a major military exercise carried out by Israel a week ago was a practice for a potential strike against Iran’s nuclear facilities.
Over 100 Israeli F-16 and F-15 fighter jets went into the skies over Tel Aviv and did maneuvers over the eastern Mediterranean and Greece in the first week of June to gear the military for long-range strikes and demonstrate Israel’s serious concern over Iran’s nuclear ambitions.
The exercise also included helicopters, which will be used to rescue downed pilots, with the helicopters and refueling tankers flying over 900 miles (1,440 kilometers), roughly the same distance between Israel and Iran’s uranium enrichment plant at Natanz.
The Jewish state is prepared to act militarily if diplomatic efforts failed to halt Tehran’s production of bomb-grade uranium. According to a Pentagon official “They wanted us to know, they wanted the Europeans to know, and they wanted the Iranians to know”. Israeli Deputy Prime Minister Shaul Mofaz recently warned Iran would face attack if it pursues what he said was its nuclear weapons program. Mofaz told reporters that “If Iran continues its nuclear weapons program, we will attack it”.
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
- 'Israel will need 100 planes to attack Iran' - Feb 20, 2012
- Panetta vows military action against Iran - Mar 07, 2012
- Turkish PM warns of 'disastrous' consequence if Israel strikes Iran - Apr 01, 2012
- Military strike against Iran would be a mistake: Russia - Nov 07, 2011
- Iran no threat to Israel: Mossad chief - Dec 30, 2011
- Israel 'plans attack on Tehran within months' - Feb 04, 2012
- Israeli air force rehearses attack on Iran: Report - Jun 20, 2008
- Iran can produce four atom bombs: Israel - Feb 03, 2012
- Israeli minister demands air, sea blockade on Iran - Mar 06, 2012
- Israel preparing to attack Iran: Report - Aug 17, 2012
- Biden says US won't dictate to Israel if it decides to strike Iranian nuke sites - Jul 06, 2009
- Iran could develop nuke weapon of 'mass destruction' by 2012: UK Defence Secy - Feb 01, 2011
- Iran can produce n-fuel for vessels, submarines: Official - Jul 23, 2012
- Iran starts enriching uranium to 20 percent - Jan 10, 2012