Israel to reject preconditions for resuming direct peace talksAugust 16th, 2010 - 11:31 pm ICT by BNO News
JERUSALEM, ISRAEL (BNO NEWS) – According to a forum of seven senior Israeli cabinet ministers, Israel will reject any preconditions set by the Quartet of Middle East peace negotiators regarding the resumption of direct peace talks with Palestine, local media reported.
The Quartet, formed by the U.S., the United Nations, the European Union and Russia, was expected to announce the continuation of the Israeli-Palestinian direct peace talks this Monday but the preconditions announced by Palestine were not accepted by Israel.
The Quartet called on Sunday to the establishment of a Palestinian state based on the 1967 borders within a year or two. It was also announced that later this week the terms of the negotiations will be released by the U.S. administration.
Israel responded by stating that the announcement could serve as camouflage for Palestinian preconditions and that situation is unacceptable for the Jewish nation.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday night that they will not accept any preconditions for engaging in peace talks. He added that Israel will only accept an American statement that does not include preconditions.
The U.S. administration is confident that direct peace talks will resume in a short time although a number of minor details are still in need to be clarified.
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Israel announces building plan, rejects preconditions - Aug 16, 2010
- PM Netanyahu says U.S. rejected Israel's freeze proposal - Jan 04, 2011
- Israel welcomes invitation to resume peace talks - Aug 20, 2010
- PM Netanyahu says Israel "quite serious" on peace talks - Nov 12, 2010
- Palestinian UN bid not to be withdrawn even if talks resume: Abbas - Oct 11, 2011
- UN envoy slams Israel's plan for new housing in East Jerusalem - Aug 12, 2011
- Palestinian leadership agrees to indirect talks with Israel - Mar 07, 2010
- India urges Israel, Palestine to resume direct talks - Dec 15, 2011
- Netanyahu leaves for US for peace talks relaunch - Aug 31, 2010
- Palestinian President Abbas UN, EU to draft new peace plan - Jan 01, 2011
- US concerned over Israeli housing construction in West Bank - Aug 10, 2011
- Israel to offer "extensive and tempting" withdrawal plan to Palestine - Aug 15, 2010
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
- Israel: Palestinian President Abbas set impossible conditions for direct peace talks - Jul 29, 2010
Tags: benjamin netanyahu, bno, cabinet ministers, camouflage, continuation, israeli cabinet, jerusalem israel, jewish nation, local media, middle east peace, minister benjamin netanyahu, minor details, palestinian state, peace negotiators, peace talks, preconditions, prime minister benjamin, quartet, resumption, short time