Is the ‘Flood of frogs’ a warning about an earthquake in Greece?May 31st, 2010 - 9:06 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Thessaloniki, May 31 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Millions of frogs have taken over one of Greece’s major highways. Police said that they have closed the highway to prevent accidents. Already there have been three accidents though fortunately no one has been killed in the accident. However there are also speculations that the flood of frogs might lead to an earthquake, whereas some people are saying that the amphibians may be looking for food.
However, some scientists say the frogs may be warning Greece of an impending earthquake. The said that before the April 6 2009 earthquake in Italy, that killed over 300 people, most of the male frogs in the area of the quake had ran away together. The quake struck five days after the frogs ran away. The seismologists have also ratified the frog’s warning system. They say there are seismic activities going on that suggest that there might be an earthquake in Greece or Turkey within the next 24 hours.
The Greek government might as well start taking action because the signs are clearer. On May 5, 2008, there was a huge migration of frogs from central China. The citizens of the area complained that the migration of the frogs might be a bad omen, but the government didn’t pay heed to their fears and said that the migration was normal. On May 12, 2008, a week after the migration, the government was proved wrong and Central China was hit by a massive quake that claimed the lives of 12,000 people.
- Frogs Flood Greece, Precursor To a Major Earthquake? - May 27, 2010
- Unusual Movement Of Frogs Lead To Fears Of Earthquake In Greece - May 31, 2010
- Mass Departure Of The Frogs A Precursor To The Earthquake In Greece? - May 31, 2010
- Flood of frogs closes down a highway in Greece - May 27, 2010
- Amarnath yatra pilgrims could be sensors for earthquakes (Science Feature) - Jun 29, 2012
- Could ozone from rocks warn us of impending quakes? - Nov 18, 2011
- Frogs invade Greek highway, paralyse traffic - May 26, 2010
- Delhi's high-rises vulnerable to Himalayan quake (Jan 26 is anniversary of the 2001 Bhuj earthquake) - Jan 25, 2012
- Moderate earthquake rattles U.S.-Mexico border, no damage - Dec 11, 2010
- Like fireflies, earthquakes too can fire in synchrony - Jun 19, 2010
- Now, a system that can warn about tsunamis within minutes - Mar 05, 2011
- India's preparedness to tackle quakes should be reviewed: Geologists - Mar 16, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits western Japan, unrelated to major 8.9 jolt - Mar 12, 2011
- Strong quake strikes off eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 22, 2011
- System that will warn of impending tsunami developed - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: accidents, amphibians, bad omen, central china, earthquake in greece, earthquake in italy, fears, flood, frog, frogs, greek government, highways, male frogs, migration, quake, seismic activities, seismologists, speculations, thessaloniki, warning system