Iran tests its new air defense systemNovember 16th, 2010 - 8:22 pm ICT by BNO News
TEHRAN (BNO NEWS) — Iran on Tuesday launched a massive exercise aimed at examining its air defense system, state media reported, to prepare against any possible attacks “on public or nuclear sites.”
The exercise, dubbed “the Guardians of Islamic Skies”, attempts to simulate an attack on the country’s nuclear facilities, Fars news agency reported.
Homemade antiaircraft missiles systems would be tested during the five-day maneuver, as well as short, medium and long-range anti-air missiles.
“Aircrafts of the enemy dubbed as ‘Orange Forces’ were identified and intercepted by our radar systems and then command of confrontation operation against the enemy was issued,” a military spokesman told reporters.
According to Fars news, the drills are aimed at testing anti-air missile systems and planes produced by the country.
Iran’s defense minister General Ahmad Vahidi recently said that Tehran plans to produce long-range air defense missiles without foreign aid. “The production of long-range air defense system in Iran is already on the agenda of the defense ministry,” he said in August.
Russia recently refused to deliver the S-300 missile system to Tehran after the U.N. Security Council approved new sanctions on Iran over its nuclear program.
- Iran launches biggest air defence drill - Nov 16, 2010
- Iran tests new home-made missile system - Apr 17, 2011
- Iran holds air defence drills - Jul 12, 2012
- Iran to hold missile drill - Jul 02, 2012
- Iran test fires more missiles - Jan 02, 2012
- Iran test-fires 300 km-range missile - Aug 04, 2012
- Iran inaugurates anti-cruise missile system - May 05, 2010
- Iran tests artillery firepower in navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- China developing high-tech weaponry and equipment: White Paper - Mar 31, 2011
- Iran begins making anti-cruise missile shield - May 04, 2010
- Iran successfully tests Fateh-110 missile - Aug 26, 2010
- Iran says that it has placed 150,000 missiles towards Israel - Nov 28, 2011
- Iran's Revolutionary Guards start military manoeuvres (Lead) - Nov 23, 2009
- Iran test-fires ballistic missiles - Jul 03, 2012
- Iran starts mass production of anti-tank rockets - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,