Iran protest updateJune 20th, 2009 - 10:58 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
Iranian police have used water cannon, clubs and teargas as part of a massive security operation to disperse protests over last weeks presidential election, witnesses in Tehran have said.
At the same a suicide bomber killed himself and two others, and injured eight bystanders near the shrine of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, leader of the 1979 revolution.
Hundreds of thousands of Iranians protesting the 10th general election result from last weekend took to the street of Tehran in open defiance of the government and supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei who warned on Friday that the protests must stop.
According to reports from Tehran, police fired guns in the air as uniformed and plainclothes police, along with members of the Basiji militia, a security force that takes orders from the Iranian government, tried to contain the protesters.
Security forces confronted demonstrators who tried to avoid main roads and take side streets toward the Revolution Square, the main rallying point.
Reports from Tehran said the cell phone service was turned off in the area at about 5.30pm and police told protesters they had no permit to protest and had to disperse.
Protesters using the microblogging platform Twitter provided details of the security crackdown, along with reports of running battles through the streets of Tehran.
According to state television more than 400 security personnel have had been injured during the last week’s demonstrations, and an unspecified amount of public property damaged.
- 13 dead in Tehran protests - extremely graphic video - Jun 21, 2009
- Thousands turn out for Iran revolution anniversary - Feb 11, 2010
- One protester dies in Iran clashes, opposition leader detained (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Iran's Ayatollah Khamenei praises unrest in Egypt, Tunisia - Feb 05, 2011
- Planned Tehran march in support of Egypt protests will test Iranian regime: Opposition leader - Feb 09, 2011
- Iran's parliamentary elections blow to enemies: Khamenei - Mar 01, 2012
- Clashes in Iran, opposition leader under house arrest (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- About 100 arrested in Iran post-poll violence - Jun 14, 2009
- Four injured as Police fire teargas shells on stone-pelters in Srinagar - Aug 16, 2010
- BJP workers, police clash at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Inhuman duties of Khamenei's loyal militia exposed - Jul 19, 2009
- Khamenei's loyal militia's brutal marriage and rape before execution rituals revealed - Jul 20, 2009
- Planned rally to support revolts draws Iranians anger - Feb 10, 2011
- Iran marks 33rd anniversary of Islamic Revolution - Feb 12, 2012
- EU urges Iran against using force (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,