‘Invisible children’ 2012 campaign launched to bring Kony to justiceMarch 7th, 2012 - 11:47 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Mar 7 (THAINDIAN NEWS) “Invisible Children,” a non-profit organization, has launched an ambitious campaign to bring Ugandan rebel leader Joseph Kony to justice. Kony, who is the leader of the guerilla fighter group Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) is accused of several war crimes and is wanted at the war crimes tribunal in The Hague.
The Invisible Children hopes to use video materials to educate people on the crimes that Kony has committed. A 29-minute video titled “Kony 2012” has been released. the video has already gone viral since it was released last week. It has also been shared about 4 million times on Facebook since it was released.
The producers say the aim of coming out with the video was to bring the crimes of Kony to the fore. They rejected the claim that they are making Kony popular with the video.
Kony was arrested by Ugandan forces later reported that he has escaped. He has not been seen since 2005 when he escaped.
Jason Russell, who directed the documentary, told reporters that, “the day when we will meet at sundown and blanket every street in every city until the sun comes up. The rest of the world will go to bed Friday night and wake up to hundreds of thousands of posters demanding justice.”
- UN to meet with central African governments to fight Lord's Resistance Army - Mar 15, 2012
- Ugandan rebels killed 321 in Congo massacre: Rights group - Mar 28, 2010
- Briton faces death for killing 13 Africans - May 09, 2012
- Ugandan rebels kill about 400 in Congo: Aid group - Dec 31, 2008
- Ugandan rebels kill more than 40 Congolese civilians - Dec 27, 2008
- Bomb blasts at World Cup viewing parties in Uganda kill 64, injure 71 - Jul 12, 2010
- Ugandan rebels massacre 45 Congolese civilians - Dec 29, 2008
- African armies move against Ugandan rebels - Dec 15, 2008
- Uganda begins withdrawing troops from Congo - Mar 15, 2009
- UN says armed groups in Central African Republic continue recruiting children - Apr 26, 2011
- New conflict with Ugandan rebels looms on horizon - Jun 13, 2008
- Ugandan rebels attack villages, military base in Sudan - Sep 20, 2008
- Europe's most wanted war crimes fugitive Mladic held (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- UNSC condemns Iraq terror attacks; seeks stability in Central Africa - Aug 19, 2011
- Ugandan rebels delay peace deal signing to end 20-year war - Apr 01, 2008
Tags: ambitious campaign, facebook, fighter group, friday night, guerilla fighter, hague, hundreds of thousands, invisible children, jason russell, lra, million times, non profit organization, rebel leader, resistance army, rest of the world, sundown, ugandan forces, ugandan rebel leader joseph kony, video materials, war crimes tribunal