Indonesian Health Minister Endang dies from lung cancerMay 3rd, 2012 - 5:46 pm ICT by BNO News
JAKARTA, INDONESIA (BNO NEWS) — Indonesian Health Minister Endang Rahayu Sedyaningsih passed away as a result of lung cancer on Wednesday morning, just days after stepping down due to her illness, the government said. She was 57.
Endang died at the Kencana Pavillion Cipto Mangunkusomo Public Hospital (RSCM) in Jakarta on Wednesday morning at around 11:41 a.m. local time, some three weeks after being hospitalized. RSCM President Director Akmal Taher confirmed her death during a press conference at the hospital.
Endang, who was appointed as the country’s health minister in 2009, was diagnosed with lung cancer in October 2010, and she had undergone several medical treatments such as radiotherapy and cryosurgery at the Cipto Mangunkusumo General Hospital. She resigned from her post on Thursday due to her deteriorating health condition.
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono offered condolences to the family and appointed Deputy Health Minister Ali Ghufron to take over Endang’s position temporarily. The president is also scheduled to lead Endang’s funeral ceremonies at the San Diego Hills cemetery in Karawang, West Java.
- UN chief to undertake Asia tour - Mar 16, 2012
- Indonesia's former president Wahid dies at 69 - Dec 31, 2009
- Toyota plans to make Indonesia its production base - Sep 13, 2011
- ASEAN pledges to cooperate against terrorism - May 09, 2011
- Indonesian MP's launch whip-round for pay-freeze President - Jan 27, 2011
- Two dead in Indonesia bombing - Sep 25, 2011
- Indonesia, China reach $17 billion cooperation deals - Mar 24, 2012
- India to invest $12 billion in Indonesia - Jan 24, 2011
- Indonesia loses $3.3 billion in five years of corruption cases - Dec 10, 2011
- Indian firms showcase products in Indonesia - Mar 06, 2012
- Indonesia aids Australian flash flooding with $1 million - Jan 17, 2011
- Indonesian President admits Bali bomber killed in Jakarta raid - Mar 10, 2010
- Garuda Indonesia orders 11 more Airbus widebody aircraft - Apr 12, 2012
- Indonesia and Australia discuss asylum center proposal and drug smugglers' death sentence - Nov 02, 2010
- Indonesia to buy missiles from US - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: akmal, bno, cipto mangunkusumo general hospital, cryosurgery, deputy health minister, endang, funeral ceremonies, health condition, hills cemetery, jakarta indonesia, karawang, kencana, medical treatments, president director, president susilo bambang yudhoyono, rahayu, rscm, susilo bambang yudhoyono, taher, west java