Indonesia raises alert status for Mount BromoNovember 24th, 2010 - 12:41 am ICT by BNO News
JAKARTA, INDONESIA (BNO NEWS) — Indonesia’s Mount Bromo has had increased volcanic activity, prompting government officials to raise its alert status.
“We have recorded that Bromo’s activity has become more intense since November 8 and its fluctuations between shallow and deep volcanic earthquakes continue to increase,” said Raden Sukhyar, head of the Energy and Mineral Resource Ministry’s geological agency.
On Tuesday, Bromo’s status was raised to “alert,” but only hours later it was raised again to “beware,” the highest alert level, which is issued before an eruption.
“We want all people around Bromo to keep calm and not be provoked by eruption rumors,” Sukhyar said, adding that the Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Agency (PVMBG) is coordinating with the local government in case of emergency.
Mount Bromo is located in East Java, and is one of the region’s main tourist attractions. But with the increased activity, the national park management has warned climbers by closing off the area at a radius of 3 kilometers (2 miles) from its crater.
Bromo usually erupts once a year, but it rarely spews out debris or hat ash. It is located around 120 kilometers (70 miles) south of Surabaya, East Java’s biggest city, and about 275 kilometers (170 miles) east of Mount Merapi, which has killed at least 322 people with its recent eruptions.
- Indonesia's Mount Bromo makes small eruption - Nov 27, 2010
- Increased volcanic activity seen at Indonesia's Mount Anak Krakatau - Nov 02, 2010
- Indonesia's Merapi death toll rises to 191, international flights again cancelled - Nov 10, 2010
- Indonesia's Merapi death toll reaches 206 - Nov 12, 2010
- Thousands flee, some hurt as Mount Merapi erupts on Java - Oct 26, 2010
- Two fresh eruptions at Indonesia's Mount Lokon - Jul 19, 2011
- Mount Merapi erupts on Java - Oct 26, 2010
- Plea for UNESCO to save Indonesian temples - Jan 23, 2011
- Indonesia's Mount Merapi erupts again - Nov 02, 2010
- Indonesia's Mount Lokon volcano erupts - Feb 10, 2012
- Red Alert declared at Mount Hudson in southern Chile - Oct 27, 2011
- European airlines cancel more than 500 flights as volcanic ash spreads - May 24, 2011
- Powerful earthquake rocks Indonesian island, tsunami warning canceled - Apr 04, 2011
- Indonesian volcano erupts - Aug 18, 2011
- Mount Gamalama erupts in Indonesia - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: ash, bno, climbers, disaster mitigation, east java, fluctuations, geological agency, government officials, jakarta indonesia, kilometers, local government, mineral resource, mount bromo, mount merapi, park management, recent eruptions, resource ministry, tourist attractions, volcanic activity, volcanic earthquakes