Indonesia: 14 dead, 40 injured in West Java bus accidentFebruary 11th, 2012 - 8:24 pm ICT by BNO News
JAKARTA, INDONESIA (BNO NEWS) — At least 14 people were killed on early Friday evening when a bus lost control and crashed into several vehicles in the Indonesian province of West Java, local media reported on Saturday. Dozens more were injured.
The accident happened at around 6:30 p.m. local time when the bus, which was traveling from the town of Garut to the Indonesian capital of Jakarta, lost control and collided head-on with another bus. The bus then hit three pick-up trucks, four passenger cars, three motorcycles and two mini-buses before plunging into a five-meter (16.4 feet) deep ravine.
Officials told the Jakarta Post that at least 14 people were killed while 40 others were injured and rushed to area hospitals, although rescue efforts were delayed due to heavy traffic in the area. Most of the victims were passengers of the second bus, police said.
In addition to colliding with scores of vehicles, the bus also hit an electricity pole, cutting off electricity in the immediate area.
The cause of the accident was not immediately known.
Earlier this month, at least eleven people were killed and 22 others were injured when a passenger bus plunged down a ravine after crashing into a truck in the Wado area of Sumedang, also located in West Java.
According to official figures, road accidents kill more than 16,500 people a year in Indonesia, although the actual number is estimated to be more than 37,000. Many accidents in the country are blamed on poor maintenance and dangerous driving as police officers can often be bribed to ignore violations.
- 17 killed in Indonesia bus accident - Feb 08, 2011
- Bus collision in Java, Indonesia kills 9 - May 23, 2011
- Indonesian ship burns after collision, four killed - Sep 26, 2011
- 13 dead in China road accident - Apr 22, 2012
- 15 killed in Kazakh accident - Aug 20, 2012
- 16 killed in China bus accident - Oct 02, 2011
- Indonesia ship fire kills eight (Lead) - Sep 28, 2011
- 42 killed, 24 injured in central Morocco bus accident - Sep 05, 2012
- 15 killed in Pakistan bus accident - Feb 20, 2012
- 15 killed in Peru road accident (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- 15 die in Peru bus accident - Sep 14, 2012
- 22 killed in road accident in southern Pakistan - Nov 13, 2011
- Eight students, driver killed in Haryana accident - Jan 02, 2012
- Two killed, 21 hurt in China road accident - Dec 18, 2011
- Pakistan: Seven passengers die after bus driver falls asleep - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: bno, bus accident, dangerous driving, deep ravine, electricity pole, garut, heavy traffic, indonesian capital, indonesian province, jakarta indonesia, jakarta post, local media, mini buses, passenger bus, passenger cars, pick up trucks, poor maintenance, rescue efforts, road accidents, west java