Indiana Road Conditions Critical, Motorists AlertedDecember 14th, 2010 - 9:47 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Dec 14, (THAINDIAN NEWS) In road conditions in the state of Indiana are becoming bad to worse with time and a state of emergency has been declared as per the state police. The inclement weather resulted in a number of car crashes and sliding in Northwest region. The cops have warned that the motorist should be very careful about driving as the majority of roads in the state have become slick and accident prone owing to the snowfall. Indiana State Police sergeant Curt Durnil said in his statement “The overwhelming majority of these crashes and slide-offs were caused by motorists driving too fast for conditions”. Taking note of the grave weather conditions at least 300 schools either delayed or called off classes for Monday.
In various places in Indiana the ice cleaning crews battled for hours to keep the roads free of the snow and stranded motorists watched in vain. The authorities reported that strong winds made things difficult for the rescue teams in northern part of Indiana. The storm has claimed 15 lives and the death toll can go up with time. Over 100 cars got stuck in various places in Indiana on Monday morning and Sunday night. Most of the trapped motorists however were rescued by Monday evening said the authorities.
The northwest Indiana witnessed 16 inches of snowfall which completely made a mess of the traffic on roads. Many small cars got stranded because heavy duty trucks blocked the roads and key intersections. The inclement weather is going to continue for some time now as the mer office has said and therefore the motorists should proceed with caution.
- Indianapolis road conditions deteriorate during winter storm - Feb 06, 2010
- Minneapolis Airport Closed After Blizzard Onslaught - Dec 12, 2010
- Iowa Road Conditions Lead To Strange Accident - Nov 25, 2010
- One dead, 200 drivers trapped in Greece car crash - Dec 24, 2011
- Metra Train Services Affected Badly By Blizzard In Chicago - Feb 02, 2011
- Widespread School Closings Take Place In USA Owing To Rough Weather - Dec 10, 2009
- Tourists rescued from Himachal hills - Jan 05, 2012
- Avoid Manali-Leh highway, snowfall likely - Oct 23, 2011
- Kentucky ice and snow crews battle harsh weather - Feb 16, 2010
- One-way traffic from Jammu to Srinagar Monday - Jan 23, 2012
- 2,000 vehicles caught in China traffic jam - Dec 31, 2010
- Wake County Schools To Remain Closed Owing To Inclement Weather - Dec 16, 2010
- More snow, Shimla records season's lowest temperature - Jan 09, 2012
- Snowfall ahead, BRO stops operations on Rohtang Pass - Nov 15, 2010
- Apples fall from sky in Coventry - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: car crashes, caution, death toll, heavy duty trucks, inclement weather, indiana road conditions, indiana state police, intersections, monday morning, motorists, northwest indiana, northwest region, overwhelming majority, police sergeant, small cars, snowfall, state of emergency, state of indiana, strong winds, weather conditions