Indian students car torched in latest Australian attackJune 7th, 2009 - 9:12 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
A car belonging to an Indian student was set alight in the outer eastern Melbourne suburb of Springvale in the latest of a string of what some people are saying are racially based attacks.
The car, and two others damaged by the fire, were parked at a block of flats when they were set alight about 1am yesterday.
Police said the torched car’s 30-year-old owner was asleep when he awoke to the sound of his car horn and looked out to see his Toyota Camry in flames.
CFA officers extinguished the fire, which is being investigated by detectives from the Victorian Police Criminal Investigation Unit at Dandenong.
The arson attack comes after a series of physical assaults on Indian students around Melbourne in recent week that have sparked widespread community debate and seen protests in the heart of Melbourne as well as in India.
Last week both major Australian political parties went into damage control mode over the attacks, condemning those responsible in the Parliament.
Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd promised to bring those responsible for the violence to justice.
“I said to Prime Minister Singh that the more than 90,000 Indian students in Australia are welcome guests in our country,” Mr Rudd told Parliament.
In New Delhi, the youth wing of India’s Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) burnt effigies of Mr Rudd outside the Australian High Commission in protest to the attacks.
- Car fire, more evidence of hate crime in Oz, claim Indian students - Jun 08, 2009
- Race attack: Indian assaulted in Australia - Sep 27, 2010
- Student attacks not racial Indian journalists on funded trip say - Jun 28, 2009
- Congress asks Australia to take stern action on Melbourne Gurudwara fire incident - Jan 14, 2010
- Indian students in Australia slam BJP protests - Jun 02, 2009
- National Akali Dal to oppose visit of Australian delegations - Jan 17, 2010
- Australian government condemns attacks on Indian students - Jun 01, 2009
- Australian police say Indian lied about petrol attack - Feb 03, 2010
- Two Indian food vans set on fire in Australia - Jul 19, 2010
- Victoria police launch operation to reduce crime against foreign, Indian students - Sep 18, 2010
- Oz hands over Indian-origin man's body to his wife - Apr 25, 2011
- India wants Australia to take stern action, says Preneet Kaur - Jan 15, 2010
- Indian envoy called to discuss Australia attacks - Feb 03, 2010
- Another Indian student attacked, Australia plans tougher law (Roundup) - Jun 02, 2009
- Indian-origin man allegedly set ablaze in 'racist' Oz attack charged for false complaint - Feb 03, 2010
Tags: arson attack, australian high commission, australian political parties, australian prime minister, bharatiya janata party, camry, car horn, community debate, criminal investigation unit, damage control mode, eastern melbourne, effigies, indian students, kevin rudd, melbourne suburb, physical assaults, springvale, toyota camry, victorian police, welcome guests